OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which guy are you?

Started by jakesdad, March 24, 2015, 02:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

60% Number 2.   A lot of my turkey hunting camo doesn't match but I have 5 turkey shotguns, two with Red Dots, a tackle box full of turkey chokes and keep collecting more calls each year...oh and files of shot patterns I refer to from year to year.

cphill

80% 1 ..20% 2.....I like getting new calls but I wear just whatever camo I ain't picky about that ...being still means more than your camo ..just my opinion

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

jepcho

I'm probably right down the middle.  About 50% of each I'd say.

catman529

I definitely lean heavily toward #1, but I do change a few things up sometimes. I also carry little equipment and have never owned a vest...

Sent from the talk of tap

tomstopper

Mostly number 1. I do use a red dot and have many different shotguns and chokes. Usually find what works and stick with it. As for the calls, now that I have more money than when I was younger, I have invested in a little higher quality calls but once I find the ones I am happy with, I won't change them. If it isn't broke beyond repair, I don't change it basically.....

mudhen

#2 until I zero in on something I really like....

I don't hunt to save money...I can buy meat at the meat store....

New gear has connected me to so many great people....

I like to use the best gear I can afford, be it new or old...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

West Augusta

Number 1 with a red dot scope on my lone turkey gun.  I even used a brown Sharpie to touch up the camo on my "turkey hunting" cap.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

wvmntnhick

Break out the popcorn, here comes another long winded explanation.

Up until about 21 years of age, I was a #1 through and through. Only thing I'd ever buy was a box of shells. I wasn't a great caller so at most I'd have a single reed diaphragm, my crow call, owl hooter and a couple foam decoys that the paint was wearing off so bad you couldn't tell they were turkeys. If I called one in to myself, it was a miracle. Generally went with a buddy of mine and he did most of the calling so it all worked out in the end. WV allows the use of rifles and I hadn't owned a shotgun in so long I just always grabbed the 22 mag. It worked and the vast majority of my birds were still shot within 40 yards.

Fast forward 2-3 years, I went on a pheasant hunt and needed a shotgun. Didn't feel good borrowing one so I bouht an 835 as it seemed like a do it all utilitarian shotgun and I'd hardly use its anway. Carried it turkey hunting once to make my buddy happy and sold it shortly after because it had a super long waterfowl barrel and was a pain to carry in the dense woods. Went back to the 22 magnum.

At the age of about 25, things changed. Decided I wanted to try the shotgun thing. Bought and sold quite a few before settling on one I liked. Still do a lot of buying and selling so that keeps me in a #2 status. Theyre all topped with a red dot for turkeys so again, a # 2. I play with them every spring testing new loads and chokes, buy new calls (mostly to support local call makers now), replaced the foam decoys for something more compact, yadda,yadda...

My camo has been around for about 7 years. Still using the same vest for the past 10 years. After years of buying every type of call I could get my hands on thinking it would make me a better caller, I've settled on a particular type of diaphragm so I get a few of them every year since they don't generally last long in my care. I did recently buy a long slate from Tylersburg Yelpers and it's the sweetest thing I've ever heard in slate style calls so I'm done there unless I need a replacement. Got several strikers through them as well and unless they're lost or broken, I'll not need another.

Said all of that to say this: started as a 1, converted to a 2, trying to get back to a 1 but I'll always have to decide on which toy to take in the morning. Always nice to hear something different go "boom."

beagler

Never Misses

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

porcupine

perrytrails

bammerslammer 50

I buy alot of stuff but I use it till it's absolutely worn out. I hate to change my load and shell combos but I do when they stop making them. I love to buy and learn new calls but I always end up scratching a hickory striker across my Doug camp slate I got when I was little. And Turkey hunting without a red dot is like taking a crap without toilet paper. I use the same camouflage every year but I buy and new vest every couple of years and its alway the same one. I guess I'm a little bit of both #1 and #2.

zelmo1

50/50   I try new things every year, but seem to hold onto the old standards. I hold onto things for a while but always have a backup. We shall see, Al Baker