OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which guy are you?

Started by jakesdad, March 24, 2015, 02:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

No right or wrong answer here,just curious which person do you think you relate to best and why.I  seem to be leaning more and more towards #1.

1)You wear camo that you've had for years,not sure what its called or where you got it.Shoot the same shotgun with factory bead and same loads year in and year out.You can run several types of calls but usually pack your ol' reliable box call and maybe a pot call or two and a couple strikers(or trumpet,or tube,scratch box,etc. just havent changed calls since Reagan was president)Every morning you get up to hunt you put on the same camo clothes and grab your vest or small pack with the same stuff you've always taken to the woods for as long as you can remember.

2)Have the newest camo every year.Shoot multiple shotguns that pattern the newest high tech loads so any turkey within 40 yds is as good as dinner.Use a scope or red dot type sight to fine tune your extra tight setups.You've got a drawer full of every kind of call known to exist and can run them well,but every year you spend countless hours deciding which strikers sound best on what surface,or what type of reed cut gives you "that" sound.You lay awake at night thinking of which set of call combos you're hunting with next or what weapon you want to take.You stare at your 18 sets of camo looking for the "one" that will blend you in best.

Both #1 and #2 are consistent turkey killers,one not better or worse than the other.Who are you?
High tech and new or had it for years and see no need for anything else?

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Dr Juice

60% #1, 35% #2, and 5% filler  :funnyturkey:

mgm1955

Not really one or the other. Same shotgun, loads, camo for several years. Have my go to calls, but always looking for new ones. Have lots of fun collecting calls and searching for that Holy Grail of turkey calls which probably doesn't exist but doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the quest. In addition, the callmakers new and old I get to become friends and the knowledge I get from them is the ultimate payoff.

captin_hook

More of number 2 . I gotta spend my $ on something. Plus it's a ton of fun getting new calls and trying new shell choke combos

Hook hanger

80% choice #1 and 20% choice #2

buck_hunter21

I am a mix of both. I really enjoying testing out new loads, new calls, ect. But when it boils down to game time, I always typically have the same call beside me, same gun, same load/choke combo.
Spill Blood

Spurs

80% number 2

20% number 1

I gotta buy some new stuff, just don't go crazy with it
This year is going to suck!!!

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

jblackburn

I think I'm number 1.5.

I've had the some of the same camp for years, and I can tell you exactly what the pattern is and I most likely got it at Walmart or a VF Outlet.  Until a couple years ago I had only killed turkeys with the same Mossberg 835 with #6 Winchester lead shells.  I happened to win an 870 in a calling contest, so I bought an Indian Creek and started shooting Hevi shot, but I still use the 835 every year.

As far as call, I am obsessed with them and I love learning how to use different types of calls and I own . . . a lot.  Yet, I usually end up using one of my favorite diaphragms and/or a slate with hickory striker.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

guesswho

Mostly number 1.  I do, and use the same things year in year out.  If it's wore out I squeeze another two or three seasons out of.   I'm a hunter of habit.   If I was a turkey I'd get killed the first morning!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tennessee Lead

I do a lot of what's listed in #2 I enjoy trying new things.
Always looking to get better. I try new calls every or every other year.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Marc

Primarily #1, only because I spend most of my money on duck hunting...

I usually purchase a couple of mouth calls each season, and one other piece of gear I have my eye on (next year will likely be a vest, as mine is old and falling apart).

The vast majority of my money spent on turkey hunting is in the form of gas...  Either lookin' for birds or driving out to hunt (most of my hunting areas are 60 miles or more)...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

strutnva

About 2/3 number 1 and 1/3 number 2.  I like the new stuff but don't see enough that I would actually buy.  Clothes are probably the most bought then shells, calls, etc.  My gun is not replaceable.  No interest in an upgrade.

TauntoHawk

A lot of us will fall in the middle, still on the same turkey vest and the shotgun my dad got me. Now I've up graded the stock, put a reddot on and tried few chokes to find a good hunting pattern.

Buying new turkey calls on the otherhand.. That's a different story
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Timmer

#1 30%, #2 70%?  Every year I get some new gear.  It's all part of the excitement leading up to the hunt. Buying new gear is worse after not bagging a bird in the previous season!  What about replacing stuff that's broken or wore out? 

Camo - I think am using mostly the same stuff since day 1.  Might have replaced something if it faded from too many washings.  So that's a #1.

Gun - 15 years of hunting, on my 2nd gun, 2nd red dot.  Replaced my red dot because the seal broke and it constantly fogged.  I guess that still might put me at a #2 since I use a red dot.

Vest - On my second which I changed out early on, won't change my newer one until it wears out. I'd give that a #1.

Calls - Ok, every year I add something, especially mouth calls because they are relatively cheap.  Added new shock calls last year, new strikers this year.  #2.

Decoys - I think it's best to NOT use them more often than not.  Tend to pull them out if I'm second guessing myself.  However, if I'm going to use them, I want them to "look real" which I know is a bad human trait as the turkeys likely don't know the difference. Just bought some fancy expensive ones.  #2.

Binoculars - Had the same pair since before I ever turkey hunted but a hinge broke and they fogged a lot, I think a seal was broken.  Replaced it with a monocular.  Given that most use them and I wouldn't have replaced them had they not had a problem, #1?

Camera - My wife bought me a GoPro for Christmas.  #2. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!