OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

how much does temp affect numbers?

Started by Richyb, March 24, 2011, 12:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richyb

I took a shot to check my pattern yesterday and there was 30 less pellets than lastyear. The temp was right around freezing. Would I gain those 30 pellets in warmer temps or do I need to do more tinkering? They were the same rem hevi shells that I was shooting lastyear and same choke also.

shootumindaface

3*n(T2-T)/(.05*n+100)+6=Y

This should get you real close it has for me

Where

n= The number you got today

T= Temp the day you got n

T2= Temp at which you want to know

Y= # at T2 temp

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have seen a increase in just 10 to 12 degrees make a big difference in the way the patterns improved from shooting in 60 degree temp to 72 degree. 

S.C.C

If you have a large variance in your pattern say from 35 to 80 deg. then yes IMO keep working
with chokes to get a consistant pattern in the temp range above.20 to 30 hits is exceptable for me
in that temp range.

JPD298

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 24, 2011, 12:12:54 AM
3*n(T2-T)/(.05*n+100)+6=Y

This should get you real close it has for me

Where

n= The number you got today

T= Temp the day you got n

T2= Temp at which you want to know

Y= # at T2 temp

Shootum,

Ive done the math several times and this formula seems not to work? 
n= 195 pellets
T=  60 degrees
T2= 75 degrees

And for "Y" im getting 85 pellets?

Jim

Timberline

This is in the ballpark of what some have said on here, but there are other weather factors that will affect the pattern:

Higher Temp = HT
Pellet count at the Higher Temp = PHT
Lower Temp = LT
Pellet count at the Lower Temp = PLT

PLT = PHT/(100+((HT-LT)*.875))*100

Or

PHT = PLT*(100+((HT-LT)*.875))/100

SumToy

In cool air it will be thicker and alot of time it will be damp.   Now on the target guns we will go smaller on the chokes.  Keep barrel dry.  Now with hunting gun don't know how you would keep it dry.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA