OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting canyons and hills?

Started by ScottS, March 23, 2015, 08:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottS

I've never hunted terrain like this so any advice would be appreciated. Some of the flat areas are chest high weeds which I don't expect the turkeys to be walking through. There are few tall roost trees so zeroing in on a roost site will be easier than normal. When the turkeys hit the ground will they go up the hills and canyons?

CT Spur Collector

You'd better find some roost tress or I'd think you might be in trouble! 

No trees=no turkeys.

ScottS

There's lots of turkeys in there cause I've stopped by before work in the morning and I here them gobbling. I watched a group of jakes and hens fly down from the trees in this picture and strut on the side of a hill. I just really don't know what they are gonna do after flydown.

ScottS

CT Spur Collector

Gotcha....I'd be hanging around those trees. Put in your scouting time......watch what they do.

I've followed birds preseason for hours to watch their habits.

Put your time in...good luck!

ScottS

I forgot to say this is public land, not real sure how pressured it is.

CT Spur Collector

Whew!  Just added to your misery!

Marc

I am hunting hills and canyons, but it is far more heavily wooded...  I always start high and go low.

It is far easier to call a bird up than it is down.  And from a high vantage point, I can hear those birds gobble and work my way down if I have to.  I always hate hearing a bird gobble above me, cause it means I have to work my way up, around, and above him for a sporting chance.

I would get on a hill with a good vantage point, and watch what happens...

On public land, look for any out of the way areas where birds can roost...  Problem with public hunting in my area, is birds get pushed off unless it is difficult to get to...  So I would look for roosting areas that take a bit of effort to get to.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ScottS

I'm just hoping not many hunters are in there. I went into the area for the first time last year with two weeks in the season left on a Saturday and I was alone. I don't have to worry about birds being pushed onto private land cause this place is huge and the private lands are up on high aims with nothing but grass and  cactus.

ScottS

matchbook454

I have hunted similar terrain and would suggest being very will I to run and gun and when I say run, I mean get up and move quick.  Seems like Rios and Merriams like to keep on the move and cover ground.  If you're on birds and hear that they are going away vs. coming you can get up and go around and try to cut them off at the other end of the canyon.  I love hunting canyons even though im a flatlander from IL!  Hunted them in NE and OK.  My favorite places to hunt!

GobbleNut

Based on what you have said, I think your biggest issue is going to be competition from other hunters.  There is usually a big difference in hunting a place late in the season as compared to at the start.  If this is public land in a state that gets any sort of hunting pressure, you will very likely have competition there.

I would spend as much time as possible before the season trying to locate more turkeys, as well as trying to pattern any birds you find.  Locating birds in hard-to-get-to places, and then making the effort to get to those birds, is often a key to success when hunting public lands. 

It sounds like the birds you have found are in a relatively easy area to access.  If that is the case, I will be amazed if you come back and report to us after your hunt that you did not have any competition for those birds. 

As for hunting "hilly" country, and from your photos,...that should be a good thing for you.  You should be able to move on birds pretty easily, when needed.  Make sure you have a good set of binoculars so you can glass for long-distance birds,...and then use that broken terrain to move to get to them. 

ScottS

Thanks for the info guys, I've been trying to make it out to scout as much as I can so we will see how it goes. I am traveling to a private land spot opening day and I'm gonna try and take a day off work the middle of the week and try this place opening week.