turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard problem

Started by blueridgegobbler, March 23, 2015, 07:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueridgegobbler

Did some shooting today and had something happen that puzzles me. 3 inch #5 LB at 40 yard knocked a hole through the pattern board about 1 inch in diameter. It appeared that some of the shot clumped together, has anybody else had this problem. The # 6 did phenomenal 204 in the 10.

owlhoot

Count your 20"circle for pellet count

Dr Juice

Wow. I have suspected that could be an issue. What gun and choke combination are you using?

Longshanks

I did allot of testing with LB 5's and came up with some strange results. Patterns cut in half, mis-shaped patterns, hour glass patterns, softball to 12-15" patterns at 15-20yds.  The only variation I have seen with the LB 6's was different diameter patterns at close range. Killed a turkey last year with the LB 6's and it looked like I shot him with a slug. Don't know if that has to do with the barrel getting dirty shooting a number of rounds or what. The heck of it is that if I hadn't done allot of shooting with the shells I wouldn't have known. Original patterns were awesome.

blueridgegobbler

Remington 870 21inch barrel with 650 hastings gonna try 28 inch barrel this weekend

Gobble!

I have seen wads do that at 20 yards but not 40, anythings possible I guess.

BowBendr

I have seen vertical stringing with the 5's, some patterns shaped like an oblong hourglass.
The oddest thing I've seen is a shot I took one day with the 4's, the wad only went about 10 yds and went 90 degrees off to the right about 25 feet. The pattern was like a softball at 40 and was about 15" low/right...

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Gooserbat

One failure on paper, now Longbeards are junk and it's time to completely redesign the entire shell....

No seriously its possible it didn't fragment, or could have been a wad issue.  Many variables.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

K9Doc

I bought a box of Fiocchi Turkey loads
A few years back just cause they were cheap
And I wanted to try them.
40 yards they Shot 2 slug holes into the paper and out the
Back of the 1/4" plywood!!!
Boxed them up, sent back to Fio with a letter.
They never responded.
Huh
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: K9Doc on March 24, 2015, 12:35:15 AM
I bought a box of Fiocchi Turkey loads
A few years back just cause they were cheap
And I wanted to try them.
40 yards they Shot 2 slug holes into the paper and out the
Back of the 1/4" plywood!!!
Boxed them up, sent back to Fio with a letter.
They never responded.
Huh
But you just broke the record for the tightest 10 at 40 and what most are trying to achieve :D

nyhunter

I'd try a little more open choke with 5's. There have been a few reporting's of weird shaped patterns with the larger shot and tight choke's.

blueridgegobbler

Nobody mentioned changing the wad simply asked a question the 6s shot great I got a .660 rhino to try the 5s thru.

owlhoot

The resin is not breaking up consistently ?
Why would 6 and 4 be any different ?

BowBendr

Quote from: nyhunter on March 24, 2015, 05:28:11 AM
I'd try a little more open choke with 5's. There have been a few reporting's of weird shaped patterns with the larger shot and tight choke's.
I'd agree with that.
In the gun I did my shooting with, the LB's really didn't need to be choked much anyway, I settled on a non-ported factory .695
Extended turkey chokes were too much for them.

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Chilly

Here is what it does to a turkey when this happens.  (not trying to hi-jack a thread just showing an experience I had with this last season)  25 yards

Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!