OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opening Weekend bird in Bama.

Started by contagious, March 23, 2015, 12:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

contagious

Took this bird on Sunday Morning,8 1/2" beard, no spurs,only weighed 13lbs ,but had a full tail fan. Not my best bird,But happy to have him.!!!

Chilly

Congrats!  Can't eat the spurs anyhow.
My cousin killed one several years ago that didn't have any spurs.  First time I had ever seen that until now.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

taylorjones20

The head looks like a hen.  I think you got yourself a bearded hen!  Congrats lol
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Spitten and drummen

bearded hen imo. everything points that way. regardless , congrats.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

zelmo1

:gobble: Did it gobble any? It does look like a bearded hen, but what a beard for a hen. Congrats.

contagious

No gobbling , she or he was in a group of 10 or 12 birds. two mature gobblers at the back of the pack ,just out of range. The lead hen had stopped, and was giving me the stink eye,saw that bird with a beard , so I rolled it at 25 steps.Thought it might also be a hen , but it had a snood,not sure of the spelling.?

alloutdoors

Definitely a bearded hen. I usually see at least a few every year, but I've only ever seen a couple with that nice a beard.

porcupine

Longshot

That is a paintbrush for a hen! Very cool bird.
Hunt with your children today and you won't have to hunt for them tomorrow.

870supermagnum

Congrats on your bird and sharing your story.   :you_rock:

jblackburn

I think it's one heck of a bearded hen!  Congrats!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

strutnva

best beard I've even seen on a hen!!!!!!

contagious

Wish I would have taken better pics,or had more time to think about the shot. May have let her walk,neat bird none the less.!!! Hunting new land in east central Alabama,-Goodwater,Al.  Only the second time on the land,seems to have a lot of birds.Let 7 jakes walk by on SAT. and had a young hen come a stay for a hour and half ,before this group of birds showed up. The early moring hen answered my call, with kee-kee's. she ran around kee keeing for 10 minutes before she started feeding up and down the road in front of me.After she walked off,gave it 20 minutes and called again, and this bunch with the bearded hen came running in.

captin_hook

Yessir, that's a bearded hen. A heck of one also.

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey