OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rough start

Started by CoachHunter, March 23, 2015, 11:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachHunter

So my sister had her wedding this past Saturday evening in lower SC (luckily she married a decent guy).  I figured I would take my gun with me and see if i could make it out into the woods Saturday morning.  Our season doesnt open until April 1 in northern SC so I was excited.  I call up a cousin and he gives me the ok to hunt the 10-15 acres behind his house down near a swamp.  I make it out and get set up under a big oak where he said his deer stand would be before daylight.  As the sun comes up I make one soft call and I swear a gobbler lets loose 10 feet above my head on his way down in the opposite direction.  Scared me to death.  He had to have watched me put out decoys and sit down right under him. Exhibit A of why scouting is wonderful if possible. After that fiasco, I wait a few minutes and begin calling again.  Long story short, there were 3-4 other gobblers roosted in the swamp 50 yards away  and about 8-10 hens did NOT like them responding to me.  They went crazy and carried the gobblers away onto neighboring land.  A perfect end to a crazy morning.Cant mess with the real thing.  Hope they caught an STD.

mgm1955

Still an exciting morning!!

zelmo1

You are hunting. I have a 4 foot snow bank outside. I know where I would rather be, just sayin :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

tomstopper

Quote from: zelmo1 on March 23, 2015, 06:52:48 PM
You are hunting. I have a 4 foot snow bank outside. I know where I would rather be, just sayin :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
haha. It was a white out here in NY this morning on my way to work and I know where I would like to be. A bad day hunting is better than a good day working anytime. Coach hunter just keep after them and your luck will change. Happy hunting....

Snoodsniper

TauntoHawk

Serious 15 acres with 5 birds sounds solid. Got over a month before we can hunt, and now you know the place better for next time.

If I'm going in blind I try and go real low impact, try not to get to deep and spook anything and don't bother with toting decoys or anything like that.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

porcupine

It is good fun to get the crap scared outta you by a gobble like that :funnyturkey:

Coachwate

That's more than I have heard I've been scouting for about a month and I've seen a hen but heard no toms in the area I'm going to hunt. I'm in the upstate of SC and am looking forward to next Wednesday.  Good luck and happy hunting.

Phire Phite

Quote from: tomstopper on March 23, 2015, 07:04:17 PM
Quote from: zelmo1 on March 23, 2015, 06:52:48 PM
haha. It was a white out here in NY this morning on my way to work and I know where I would like to be. A bad day hunting is better than a good day working anytime. Coach hunter just keep after them and your luck will change. Happy hunting....

True dat.  At least you were scared by something...

CoachHunter

Quote from: Coachwate on March 25, 2015, 08:25:59 PM
That's more than I have heard I've been scouting for about a month and I've seen a hen but heard no toms in the area I'm going to hunt. I'm in the upstate of SC and am looking forward to next Wednesday.  Good luck and happy hunting.

CoachHunter

What part of upstate? I actually teach/coach in horry county. Hunted in barnwell county. Birds were awake and lively done there. Not so much up here.

Coachwate

I'm in Seneca (Oconee County). I teach as well. Our Spring Break is next week so I get four full days in the woods. I taught and coached down in Estill for two years which isn't too far from where you were hunting. I saw a lot of turkey down there but it was mostly private land.