turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bad turkey hunting week

Started by RussM311, March 22, 2015, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussM311

I am not sure who I offended in a previous life, but it all came back to haunt me this week. I came to central Mississippi with a lot of enthusiasm and a truckload of gear. I was ready to get the season off to a great start. I had drawn a 2 day permit in my favorite WMA and had lots of open national forest for the rest of the week. First day... nothing... no gobbles...no tracks...no scratchings.... but still enthusiastic... the week is young. Went that afternoon to scout the wma... nothing!!  Went to my favorite area on the wma hunt.... nothing... and I know I left 4 or 5 jakes here last season. Things never got any better....  I actually heard a bird gobble...twice....but he was a lot faster moving than I am. Bottom line..... I have spent a week chasing birds that apparently are either extinct or should be considered mythological creatures...along with hobgobblins and unicorns. I never found a track or any other sign...and this in an area where I have had tremendous success over the last 5 years. To add to my week, I pulled into a parking area and some locals got out of their truck to inform me that out of state hunters "ain't welcome on our land..hunting our birds". I just packed up and left....  Maybe I am just too early....maybe there has been too much activity in the area.... maybe the rain washed away all of the sign....  I have no idea....but I have never had a more frustrating week doing something that I enjoy so much.  LOL  Oh well....season opens in Louisiana next Saturday...maybe they will be more hospitable.

Cutt

Quote from: RussM311 on March 22, 2015, 08:42:00 PM
To add to my week, I pulled into a parking area and some locals got out of their truck to inform me that out of state hunters "ain't welcome on our land..hunting our birds". I just packed up and left.... 

If this was Public Land, that wouldn't have sat well with me, sorry to hear of your bad week.

RussM311

It was a National Forest.....but not worth the risk to argue with armed folks in the middle of nowhere.  :-(

wvmntnhick

Always nice to meet the locals. I don't really know anyone that's not been through something similar. A guy here had his tires flattened (again, here) for running his squirrel dogs during bow season on public land. Some people think they own it all.

Marc

You still have a long ways to go before the end of the season....  Hopefully things will get better.

You have the rest of the season for birds to frustrate you more, or to get a bit of revenge...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mgm1955

Cut N Run

Hang in there, man.  Try there again after a few weeks.  Lots of the pressure will have reduced, plenty of hens will already be nesting, and gobblers will get lonely around mid-day. 

If you have a license and gameland permit, you have already paid to hunt any public land that's open.  Maybe by then the welcome committee will have gone back to watching the Dukes of Hazard reruns and you can get serious about hunting.  Good luck.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Gobbler2577

I really hate to hear this.  I live and hunt in Mississippi and mostly on public ground.  If it makes you feel any better this has been the worst first week I can remember.  And unfortunately, some guys treat everyone that way, even residents.  Maybe you ought to come a little further north and meet some of the more hospitable Mississippians.  Can't guarantee hard gobbling birds the first week, but I doubt seriously you'd have any ill spoken words with the locals.

Cutt

Quote from: RussM311 on March 22, 2015, 09:45:09 PM
It was a National Forest.....but not worth the risk to argue with armed folks in the middle of nowhere.  :-(

First thing I do when hunting Public out of State, is to have the Wildlife Commision for that area in my phone. Normally when someone is in an area I go elsewhere out of curtiousy. But under them cicumstances I would of called with their vehicle plate and description explaining the situation, and if trouble, they'd know who to look for. Then I would explain to them and proceed in the woods, always have your phone with prestored numbers.

porcupine

zelmo1

:turkey2: Keep at it, we all get that some times. Sometimes locals can be"unique"

RussM311

Thanks for all the nice replies.... and I understand that this may be an isolated incident... personally, it was just plain aggravating. However, life goes on and there are turkeys elsewhere to hunt....  :-))))  And yes Marc, there is probably more frustration and humiliation in line before the season ends....  LOL.

Best wishes to all for a great season.....