Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tight 10. cirlce pattern vs. bigger even pattern?

Started by Cutt, March 23, 2011, 09:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

I know 10 inch is the rule of thumb, but I like to see uniform amounts of shot outside the 10 in a 30 inch circle as well.  I like a uniform pattern over how many I can get in the 10.  The "old white" Hevi's 3" #6 I averaged 140 in a 10 @ 40yds. out of a Briley's .675 in my 835, but the pattern around that was uniform.  Getting great uniform patterns w/ the 3.5 #7's w/ Jellyhead in .690 also.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Cutt

Well first of all I may be splitting hairs but I have always disagreed with the term "knock down". Bullets or shot from shotgun shells don't "knock" anything down. They kill by penetrating into vital areas and organs.

Forget the knock down stuff.

[/quote]

True, end results are penetration, but Hevi even uses the phrase, must have some meaning?

Copied from Hevi-With World Record performance this load offers 40 percent more knock down power than lead and 40 percent more effective range than lead.

And when I first started turkey hunting and knew very little of the sport, I once shot at a strutting tom 15 yards away, and "knocked him down", only to watch him fly away. :TooFunny:

ILIKEHEVI-13

I remember a guy on another forum that said he could get 160- 180 I believe out of lead loads with a Kick's choke. 

I just laugh.