turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Double beard opening day bird....

Started by Reloader, March 23, 2011, 08:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

I wish there was a good story on this one, but there just wasn't much to it.  I've been hearing two toms in a high pressure area near 3 main roads, and every time they shut up after fly down.  We tried to get one before the crowds on the youth hunt, but they were wrapped up in hens.

I went out Friday eve in hopes to roost a bird in this area and as luck would have it these two cranked up about 30 mins til dark on the limb.  I had em pegged, knew exactly where to be opening morn.  I would imagine alot of guys said "Well, Dang" to put it kindly shortly after daylight Saturday morn.  Didn't even have to call.  Darn good thing I roosted them Friday night because they were flat wrapped up in hens.  The second tom hung around for a bit after I smoke rolled his buddy, but the hens got out of Dodge.

When I went to cut his beard off I found a surprise, another beard 3" long about an inch further up his neck.  Pretty cool deal.  1" and 15/16" short fat spurs, 9" main beard and 3" second beard.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

Flydown

Layum down brotha! Congrats on a great weekend :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

HARDCORE

You're putting the smack down on em I see.......GOOD!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

HC

GOLD HUNTER

Thats a nice bird man !! i shot one just like that bird a few years back.  :icon_thumright:

brian

Gold Spur

Congrats Ronny, doubled bearded birds are hard to come by.... :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

WyoHunter

Nice bird and good read - Congrats!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

JVA54

timbrhuntr

shootumindaface

Congrats bud.. You are hammering down

nctrkyhntr

Reloader

Thanks fellas!

QuoteYou are hammering down

I'm telling you, we've been blessed this turkey season.

All my handloads are named to seperate recipes and all derived from the "Hammer" so that's why I had those stickers made.

I took that bird with this one:

alloutdoors

Hognutz

Way to go, Reloader. He is a dandy.. :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.