OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

No more Fed Heviweight?

Started by chatterbox, March 21, 2015, 07:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have heard the same rumor on duck hunting sites...

I ordered some loads from Cabela's months ago, and they have not arrived.  When I called to inquire about the order I was told it was on back-order, and that the order would likely be cancelled due to unavailability...

I am not a fan of giving Hevi-shot any business, but it looks like next season, I will probably purchase some 20 gauge loads, and make the switch over to a 20 gauge...  I have 4 Hevi-shot loads left this season for the 12 gauge...

My guess is, if they cannot make a profit selling shells at $6 per shell, that there are some issues garnering the materials to make these loads...  I always thought that the price of these loads was artificially marked up, simply because it could be, but I doubt that shell manufactures would leave that much money on the table by discontinuing these loads if they were that profitable.

Lead is certainly adequate for killing turkeys, but these denser loads are no doubt superior...  Not superior enough to pay $10 or $20 per shell though...  Especially since I don't believe I would consider taking a bird much over 40 yards (unless I make an error in judgment).

In a couple of years, lead will not be an option for us in California, as it will be illegal to hunt any game with any lead ammunition...  I am guessing we will see the advent of steel turkey loads...  And the cost of the denser materials will go up even higher.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Fieldturkey

So if its lead that automatically makes it a crappy shell?
[/quote]

In the 20, yes lead is crap. In the 12, a little less crappy

DirtNap647

ok im confused guys.... shooting  heavyweight 7's which are equivalent to lead 6 so how is it denser than longbeard 4 or 5 shot

zelmo1

:OGturkeyhead: I think this is a rumor. Talked to people at a local gun show today and they said that Federal Heavyweight is still available but in demand. Don't panic yet, lol. We killed birds before and we will continue to do so. Al Baker

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Dirt nap on March 21, 2015, 02:06:09 PM
ok im confused guys.... shooting  heavyweight 7's which are equivalent to lead 6 so how is it denser than longbeard 4 or 5 shot

Heavyweight is 15 g/cc and lead is 11g/cc.  Not sure what math you're doing.

Britton40

10+ boxes at Bass Pro in Orlando.

Rapscallion Vermilion

The rumor of the Heavyweight turkey loads being discontinued has been around since at least early 2013.   I think it started when the Heavyweight duck loads were discontinued.  I haven't had any trouble finding them, but they do sell out fast this time of year.

Gooserbat

Try Rogers, or DnW Outdoors, both had stacks of it earlier this spring.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Looks like this latest rumor on here started with this guys very first post.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,53074.msg526630.html#msg526630

Who then goes on to tell us about a great stock at the Avery Superstore.   I wonder if it is the same Bill Cooksey that has been an Avery Pro Staffer since 1999 (Google search).

jakesdad

Quote from: Fieldturkey on March 21, 2015, 01:10:52 PM

So if its lead that automatically makes it a crappy shell?

In the 20, yes lead is crap. In the 12, a little less crappy
[/quote]

Hmmmm.Shot plenty of turkeys with lead from both that didnt seem to notice.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

g8rvet

Dang Rap, remind me not to get you suspicious of me!   Good detective work there! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Cboy88

I have not heard anything about the hevi being dropped from production but these Winchester shells perform quite well. I have not compared them but would be worth a shot if looking for another option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 21, 2015, 03:09:35 PM

Quote from: Dirt nap on March 21, 2015, 02:06:09 PM

Heavyweight is 15 g/cc and lead is 11g/cc.  Not sure what math you're doing.

Density is not the weight, but the degree of compactness of a substance.  You could get styrofoam balls that weigh the same as a #6 lead pellet as well, but they would obviously not work very well because they are not dense, and do not maintain energy (or velocity)...

Denser material will generally maintain energy and velocity for longer distances, and it will tend to pattern more tightly and more consistently, not only due to the density, but the fact that most of these substances are also harder than lead (so they do not deform)...

In comparing #6  2 oz lead turkey loads to #6 1 1/4 oz Hevi-shot loads (shooting a standard full choke), I was had a higher pellet count within a 10" circle with the Hevi-shot loads even though there were far fewer pellets.  And because the Hevi-shot is more dense, it will reach out a bit further as well...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Bill Cooksey

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 21, 2015, 04:19:04 PM
Looks like this latest rumor on here started with this guys very first post.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,53074.msg526630.html#msg526630

Who then goes on to tell us about a great stock at the Avery Superstore.   I wonder if it is the same Bill Cooksey that has been an Avery Pro Staffer since 1999 (Google search).

I was Avery's marketing director for 13 years, but I left the company two years ago. Read the load was discontinued on a waterfowl board and started digging. The ammo forum here had several posts from people looking for HW, and since I found a bunch at a local retailer I thought letting those interested know was appropriate. This forum is where I first learned about the 20 gauge patterns folks were getting with HW back when I was in a mild panic over He I discontinuing my  ffavorite load.

By the way,  I posted here a fair amount a few years back, but my login was somehow lost.

greencop01

:character0029:     Well, lead or hw, ad nauseum. We should be honing our woodsmanship and calling. I'm a little older and I find more enjoyment in getting a bird in close rather shooting them at extreme ranges. We owe the bird more than reaching out there and chancing on wounding him. How can anyone after calling Mr Tom up close and personal, staring down the rattle to borrow from Mike Strand, go back to shooting at iffy ranges. When they're that close a load of high brass hard sixes does very well. I'm not trying to pontificate here but our sport, calling in birds, is part of what makes it special. Also even though I work and have limited time in the field I get as much enjoyment when a bird doesn't get roasted, most of the time I remember those hunts more than when I connect. Have a great Spring out there and may you hear the RATTLE !  :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!