OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

No more Fed Heviweight?

Started by chatterbox, March 21, 2015, 07:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cooksey

I don't disagree, but I do try to have the best pattern possible in my 20. It's very rare I take a shot over thirty yards,  and 40 is my absolute limit. However, I like having a few extra yards of leeway. With the current combo I misjudged one field bird that turned out to be 43 yards and also killed a bird at 54 that was running off crippled after the guy with me failed to center him. Wanting the best pattern possible doesn't always equal wanting to take long shots. I've killed more birds under twenty than over thirty.

Old Gobbler

True or not , any turkey hunter who has used the premium turkey shells , knows that tomorrow is never guaranteed -

If it works well , hoard the the stuff -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Marc

Quote from: greencop01 on March 22, 2015, 01:09:55 PM
:character0029:     Well, lead or hw, ad nauseum. We should be honing our woodsmanship and calling. I'm a little older and I find more enjoyment in getting a bird in close rather shooting them at extreme ranges. We owe the bird more than reaching out there and chancing on wounding him. How can anyone after calling Mr Tom up close and personal, staring down the rattle to borrow from Mike Strand, go back to shooting at iffy ranges. When they're that close a load of high brass hard sixes does very well. I'm not trying to pontificate here but our sport, calling in birds, is part of what makes it special. Also even though I work and have limited time in the field I get as much enjoyment when a bird doesn't get roasted, most of the time I remember those hunts more than when I connect. Have a great Spring out there and may you hear the RATTLE !  :OGturkeyhead:

I do not normally drive over 70 mph, but it is nice to have a vehicle capable of doing so...

The vast majority of my birds have been under 30 yards...   However, for someone that is a wing-shooter, generally looking at much smaller targets, those turkeys look big, and I have misjudged birds.  :help:...  Still killed em' but a few years back, I thumped one at just over 40 that I was certain was well under 40...

I have also finished off birds others have hit, but not killed, and with a couple young kids in tow, I believe this will be an issue for me in the future as well.  Nice to have a load capable of killing birds at further ranges, and Hevi-shot and Heavyweight type of loads certainly make for better and more consistent patterns.

I do have to say, that I feel a little twinge of unpleasantness when I see these turkey hunting shows, and guys shooting scoped shotguns, super tight chokes, and bragging about shots over 55 yards...  Also a bit unsettling to share the woods with someone using these loads, as I would not want to be accidently (or purposefully for that matter) shot by such a load...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Fieldturkey

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on March 22, 2015, 01:25:54 PM
I don't disagree, but I do try to have the best pattern possible in my 20. It's very rare I take a shot over thirty yards,  and 40 is my absolute limit. However, I like having a few extra yards of leeway. With the current combo I misjudged one field bird that turned out to be 43 yards and also killed a bird at 54 that was running off crippled after the guy with me failed to center him. Wanting the best pattern possible doesn't always equal wanting to take long shots. I've killed more birds under twenty than over thirty.
What is your 20 gauge setup for turkeys, Bill??? :OGturkeyhead:

Bill Cooksey

Youth 870 20 gauge, Remington X-full and Federal #7 HW. Originally shot some of the old Hevi 7.5 waterfowl loads through the same gun and choke and was happy,  but those were discontinued.