OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

No more Fed Heviweight?

Started by chatterbox, March 21, 2015, 07:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Now, I have read here that Fed is discontinuing the heviweight.
Can anyone confirm this? If it is true, it is really sad. I finally found a load for my son's 20 that shot awesome.
I guess I should have bought more a couple years ago. It is a shame. It is a fantastic shell that truly turned a 20 into a bona fide 40 yard killer with a factory load.
Now, it looks like only Hevi-13 is making a #7 load for the 20, and that shell is kinda hard to find up here. Only way to get them is to order online.
My son has 7 boxes for his 20, which will last him many, many years as we only shoot one shell to confirm accuracy at the range, and hopefully one on a gobbler in the spring.
Still, I feel it is now time to roll my own for my 20. For one thing, I have always wanted to do it, and secondly, I will never have to worry about inconsistency nor discontinuation of a shell.
I know it comes down to money for a company, and we turkey hunters are a very small segment of an ammo companies business, so I get it, but it is still too bad.

Fieldturkey

chatterbox

Quote from: Fieldturkey on March 21, 2015, 07:49:22 AM
I hope you are wrong
Me too. However, I couldn't find it at Bass Pro, Dunns, and some other places online. One of the only places I found it was Midway USA.

Crappiepro

Well thats my luck!
I was gonna use my 20ga because of the reviews the HW#7's were getting. I havent had a chance to pattern it yet. The way my luck goes they'll be the best pattern Ill ever see and won't be able to find anymore LOL!
I got is 2 boxes, I'll have to run down to GM and see if they got any more.

Rem Man

Google that shell Midway Usa, Gander Mountain, and several places have them in stock. I think that is just a rumor. I cant see Federal not making this 20 gauge shell anymore. It is the best selling 20 gauge shell. Federal sells every box they make.

Dtrkyman

If someone comes up with a cheaper alternative that performs the same they will clean house...I still see it on the shelves so I think it will be around for a few years regardless of production!

If winchester would produce a 20ga longbeard that would really put a damper on the hevi stuff!

Tom Foolery

I hope it's just a rumor about no more HW #7's.

I emailed Winchester about a 20 gauge LB load and they said they have no plans of making one. 

Timmer

I will see several Federal employees tonight.  I will try to remember to ask them.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

turkeywhisperer935

No offense but to the guy that said the longbeard xr's would put a end to the heavy stuff that's just absurd. they don't have the long range knockdown or pattern density of the heavyweights or hevi-13's. Me and my buddies have shot them all and I aint found a load my mossy 935 and jellyhead won't shoot. they do pattern well and will perform well but in the end it is still copper plated lead shot and performs as such no matter what winchester say's. they shoulda never discontinued their xtended range shell period.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: turkeywhisperer935 on March 21, 2015, 09:51:34 AM
No offense but to the guy that said the longbeard xr's would put a end to the heavy stuff that's just absurd. they don't have the long range knockdown or pattern density of the heavyweights or hevi-13's. Me and my buddies have shot them all and I aint found a load my mossy 935 and jellyhead won't shoot. they do pattern well and will perform well but in the end it is still copper plated lead shot and performs as such no matter what winchester say's. they shoulda never discontinued their xtended range shell period.

Preach on, brother.  But the longbeards fanboys will still continue to believe they've found a cheaper equivalent to HTL.....

Ihuntoldschool

If this was a long range sport, maybe there would be a reason to be concerned about the long range knockdown.   But is isn't so there isn't.

owlhoot

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 21, 2015, 10:49:24 AM
If this was a long range sport, maybe there would be a reason to be concerned about the long range knockdown.   But is isn't so there isn't.
40 yards is long range :icon_thumright:
Fed HW 7's allows for pattern density with great killing ability with a 20 gauge at 40 yards.
Most lead loads don't get much past 30 effectively.

Some do not want to be beat to death by a 3 1/2" cannon with longbeards , but this aint no long range sport , right.  :fud: ;D

Fieldturkey

Why would you want to handicap yourself with a crappy shell? Might as well shoot the best you can get/afford

jakesdad

Quote from: Fieldturkey on March 21, 2015, 11:37:35 AM
Why would you want to handicap yourself with a crappy shell? Might as well shoot the best you can get/afford

So if its lead that automatically makes it a crappy shell?

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Dtrkyman

I am no way a fan boy, hell I have never even seen a long beard shell. But when a load comes out that patterns comparably to hevi stuff and is cheaper it will take over, why do you think every other pattern thread is about longbeards?

On the occasion that I gun hunt I still have some hevi and win. xd range, but if I bought new I would certainly try longbeards.  all of you guys here preach 40 yards or less so if the lead patterns comparably the hevi does not matter!