OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snake boot reality

Started by Fieldturkey, March 20, 2015, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fieldturkey

Just curious, has anybody ever been bit by a snake while wearing snake boots? In other words have they ever saved you?

Muzzy61

Had it happen to a buddy walking ahead of me blood trailing a deer 3 years ago. A 3 and a half foot timber rattler hit him just above the ankle. Scared the crap out of both of us, but no harm. Same buddy got hit by a 4-5 foot diamondback last year trailing a deer. I wasn't with him, but he showed me a dead snake an a heck of a bruise on his calf. I've determined he is bad luck and won't walk on the same trail as him any more.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

zelmo1

:z-winnersmiley: What kind of boots does he wear? I think I may get the same ones. Al Baker

ThunderChickenGetter

i got bit by a big copperhead last supper while deer scouting while wearing mine. Felt like a baseball hitting my ankle but no harm done.

born2hunt

I've never been struck but I have stepped mighty close to a few coiled up moccasins and rattlers,  while wearing snake boots and a couple without. Ill tell ya when you look down and see a moccasin 12 inches from your leg and ready to strike, you will see the reality of snake boots.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Muzzy61

Quote from: zelmo1 on March 20, 2015, 04:19:20 PM
:z-winnersmiley: What kind of boots does he wear? I think I may get the same ones. Al Baker
[/quote.    He has a pair of Rocky's from bass pro shop. Believe me, I bought a pair for myself.]
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

cutt down

Yes. Last year a copperhead hit me above the ankle. Muck woody armour boots saved me.

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: Rocky snake boots it is. I am travelling next year, Missouri, Kansas and SD. I am taking no chances. We have a ton of snow up here in New England, but very few poisonous critters. Al Baker

deerbasshunter3

Do snakes not generally bite above the ankle?

Strick9

We have Copperheads, Cane Brakes, Eastern Diamond backs and Water Moccasins here..

I do this test,  grasp a sewing needle firmly between pointer finger and thumb and slam into boot about half force. You will be surprised at just how many snake boots fail miserably.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

tomstopper

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 20, 2015, 07:37:46 PM
Its been said (seen a Nat Geo video once were they were explaining the bite force of snakes and how they strike) that generally they hit low and try at a somewhat even level bc they can get more momentum/force than they would striking higher. In the video, they said that when snakes strike, it can be with the same force as an arrow from a bow at speeds equivalent to 100mph or more......

Cboy88

Piece of mind even if you don't ever run across one, I was one step away from stepping on one last year.  I picked up a pair of redheads on sale at basspro yesterday for 89. Quality as far as " waterproof" may not be the best but they give a good warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cutt down

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 20, 2015, 07:37:46 PM

Yes but if you're stepping over a log or pick your foot up to clear an obstacle they could strike your foot as well.

turkeywhisperer935

Every snake boot i ever owned has leaked and got my feet wet and I've tried different brands but as far as being bit aint been that unlucky yet and hope I don't. would probably give me a heart attack.

owlhoot

Quote from: turkeywhisperer935 on March 21, 2015, 09:58:55 AM
Every snake boot i ever owned has leaked and got my feet wet and I've tried different brands but as far as being bit aint been that unlucky yet and hope I don't. would probably give me a heart attack.
Ill second that!
Got buzzed at in southeast kansas a few years back. I was walking up a path through some big rocks and it echoed all around.  Yikes    i backed out and took the way long way around. 
On my 4th pair , none have stayed dry yet, the rockys were the worst, they were laceups bought i would say 7 years ago. they literally fell apart from drying in the sun in the back of the truck.
Wore a good set of Lacrosse pull on out , they were good but not made now. Imagine that.
The new rubber boot style look interesting.  never been hit, a copperhead tried.