OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snake boot reality

Started by Fieldturkey, March 20, 2015, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoyt

I've never been bit, but have been struck at many times when living in Fl., Ga., and S.C., by big and small cottonmouths and diamondbacks. All of the big ones have struck up towards my face and chest. Could be due to the way my body was contorted twisting around trying to avoid stepping on them while at a fast walk and once I was coming down with a long limb.

One of my luckiest encounters was with a big timber rattler on a bitter cold morning in Ga.. that didn't strike. I was blood trailing a deer on my hands and knees with my face down close to ground looking for specs of blood, when I came face to face with the 5' timber rattler coiled in a bed of wire grass. My face was about 12" from it.

I guess the real cold morning had it sluggish and it didn't even move.

zelmo1

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an Looks like boots, chaps and a cast for me next year when I head west. I would react badly to a close encounter with a poisonous snake. Caught many a sissy northeastern snake and got bit by a big black racer when I was 13. I don't think that qualifies, lol. Al Baker

deadbuck

I stomped on a 2 foot cottonmouth to kill it while planting foodplots in dry dirt last fall. It curled around and bit my boot but it was not much of a threat.

john.moore4

In MO near Kansas City I was struck by a good sized Copperhead.  Scared me so bad I dropped my shotgun on it. 

It hit me about halfway up the side of my calf in the middle of my gaiters.  This was in mid-Oct fall Turkey hunting and I wore them mostly to keep dew off my pant legs but I'm glad I had them on!  It was about 45 that morning and 60ish that evening when I was walking out.  Happened about 20 yards from my car right on the path to the parking lot.

This spring I've invested in upgrading to Cabela's Boa Snake Boots; hopefully I won't test them out.

870supermagnum

Went hunting with my grandson yesterday afternoon in a large creek bottom and walked upon an 18" coral snake.  My grandson actually saw it first and pointed it out to me.  Coral snakes aren't aggressive like rattlers and cottonmouths, but when cornered, stepped on or picked up they will nail you, and their posion is bad stuff (neurotoxin).  I found a pair of LaCrosse waterproof snake boots a Gander Mountain that I really like.  They're well made and fit true to size.  I previously owned a pair of Rocky Snake Boots that finally leaked and the sole separated for the body.

Prohunter3509

how about herters boots at cabelas anyone have opinion on them
Snake boot $90

BBR12

Good pair of leather boots for comfort, water proof, easy on off, etc. etc.  Pair of turtle skin snake leggings for snakes, briar, cactus etc. etc. I ran through several different pair of snake boots quite a few yrs ago until I fianlly bought a pair of all leather Irish Setter boots and the turtle skins. I replaced my boots  this yr after wearing them deer and turkey hunting for 7-8 yrs and they are still waterproof they got probably 1k miles on them. Not really sure why but they just don't fit my feet right anymore or they would still be my go to boot. I plan to keep them for deer hunting when I have on a heavy sock.

Oh, and no I have never been struck but I kicked the tail of a 5'+ western diamond back several yrs ago walking in tall grass in TX. It was less than 2 hrs later when I stepped beside a cactus and about time I got my weight on that leg I saw the head of another WD coiled up in the cactus about 6" from my foot.

deerbasshunter3

I have had people tell me that snakes will usually get out of your way unless given no other option.

Oconeeguy

That's been my experience. Never had any snake come after me, but my snake boots are for when I don't see them first, or worse, if I step on one accidentally.

goblr77

I've never been struck but always wear snake boots anyway. I run up on snakes all the time in the places I hunt. I came within 5 feet of this bad boy Saturday.

StrutStopper_71

This is from Saturday in Northwest Fl.