turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ohio Public ground?

Started by Dtrkyman, March 20, 2015, 02:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

Thinking of trying a new state, hit Indiana last year for the first time and killed a nice bird on public.  Any info Appreciated!

Cutt

I would personally look in Central Ohio, to avoid hunter numbers on State Line areas. I live in PA and hunt Ohio along the PA-Ohio line which gets a lot of pressure, both from Ohio residents and PA non-residents. Or look South in the Wayne National Forset, a very big area to get away from others.

AndyH

I would look into the Wayne NF lots of ground there to get away from other hunters. Not much public in Central Ohio and what public ground there is gets pounded. Try hunting during the week, if that is not possible maybe wait until the second week. should be far less people hunting.

perrytrails

Wayne National is big. Lots of great hunting. Hunted it most of my life. Door Run area off of 33 is a great place. Week days I see very few hunters after the first week.

Dtrkyman

Thanks guys, I would hunt later in the season and mostly during the week.

What can I expect as far as birds, I know conditions are huge but would I expect to hear a bird or 2 daily?

Dtrkyman

Looks like Wayne is 400 miles or so, I would like to stay within 250 if possible, I am on the Il. In. border 30 miles south of Chi. 

Cutt

Central Ohio area has Salt Fork? If you hunt along the Ill.-Ohio border at Public Ground, I would amagine higher hunter numbers and more pressure, like the PA-Ohio border? Public Land close to State borders, is home to many resident hunters and easy access for jump over the line Non-Residents too.

Dtrkyman

Just saw Mohican state forest, looks like it may be decent, 330 miles so not too bad, Ashland county seems to be in the upper tier as far as harvest.

AndyH

A lot of birds in Ashland Co. dont know how the hunting is in Mohican but I would say you could find a few turkeys.

flintlock

You might check the AEP lands too.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

West Augusta

Woodbury public hunting area near Coshocton is pretty good.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

snapper1982

Quote from: West Augusta on March 20, 2015, 08:40:01 PM

And full of hunters.

turkey_slayer

Any question you ask about public land the answer is always full of hunters ;). If there's birds there and you know how to hunt them you will be successful. So go have fun.

West Augusta

Quote from: snapper1982 on March 20, 2015, 09:03:29 PM

And full of hunters.
Wasn't when I was there but I hunted during the week.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

snapper1982

Quote from: West Augusta on March 20, 2015, 09:42:02 PM
Quote from: snapper1982 on March 20, 2015, 09:03:29 PM

And full of hunters.
Wasn't when I was there but I hunted during the week.

I live close to it and have hunted there a lot  both week days and week ends and have not had a single day of not running into others. Most were pleasant but a couple have been arses and intentionally messed up a hunt. Maybe it is just the spots I choose to hunt lol.