turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 vs 12

Started by MACHINIST, March 19, 2015, 01:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACHINIST

I know this has probably been debated over and over,but what are the pro's/con's for using a 20 over a 12.I have a young shooter I would like to get a 20 for and I know he we will be like any typical kid and think he needs a 12.So I figure I would get a 20 and do some testing this summer.So there ya have it let the debating begin!!haha

Full strut

The biggest pro over a 12 especially for a kid is the weight of a good fitting 20 gauge. Lot will be much easier for him to hold it still over a 12 on those longer shots, or when a tom hangs up a little too far out.

FL-Boss

The main difference is once you hunt with a 20ga you will never pick up a 12ga again.. :-)

20ga is lighter, easier to maneuver.  Plus with the chokes and ammo today.. these 20ga shoot better than most 12ga guns did 20 years ago.

3.5in 12ga and 10ga... absurd in my opinion for turkeys..  again.. just my opinion.

g8rvet

I just got an 870 youth 20 (that I already had) ready for my daughter to shoot this year.  It was such a nice pattern and such a pleasure to shoot, I went out and got myself a 20 gauge as well.  I am putting the 12 away this year and using the 20.  With the proper load and the proper distance shots (inside 40), there really is no disadvantage to the 20. How dead do they need to be? 

Of course, proper gun fit is more important than anything else, especially in a new shooter.  My son used the youth model for 1 full duck season, hit a growth spurt and took over my full size 870 12 gauge.  Fortunately, the next year, he won a DU GreenWing shoot and won himself a 12 gauge 870 and I got my gun back.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

MACHINIST

Whats the max distance for a 20?I know it depends alot on the pattern,I am talking about the knockdown power

born2hunt

If you shoot say a #5 load at 1200 fps out of a 20 and 12, the "knock down " of a single pellet is identical.  With a 12 you just have more pellets. It's not like a 243 vs 3006.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

deadbuck

If you shoot factory ammo go with the Fed heavyweight 7 shot, it is 1 1/2 oz load and is the best store bought round currently available. If you want a 20 to outperform a 12 with store bought ammo, and it will, shoot TSS

alloutdoors

Quote from: MACHINIST on March 19, 2015, 03:10:18 PM
Whats the max distance for a 20?I know it depends alot on the pattern,I am talking about the knockdown power
A 12 doesn't have any more power, it just has more pellets. A properly set up 20 with Fed HW 7's will maintain lethal pattern density well past the 40 yards that we are limited to discussing on this forum.

rp2210

the kick would be much better for a smaller shooter on a 20. i have a youth 870 i got and set up with good choke and hevi and it shoots amazing, even with lead its very impressive. i would never thing twice about taking it out on any day. however stay ethical don't take 50yrd shots and you'll be fine

owlhoot

get the 20.  let the kid shoot the 12 .
you take the 20 and enjoy. ;D

gleezer

Why not just use 2 3/4 inch shells in your 12 gauge and imagine it's a 20?

MACHINIST

Because I have my 12,if not for my nephew starting out I wouldn't be wondering about this at least for a few more years.I actually dont mind the recoil of a heavy kicker unless you have to shoot all 5 shots from it.I have my old Charles Daily that I am setting up for him with 2 3/4 shells for this year right now.That gun is really light and shoots great so unless I find a great deal on a 20 I will probably hold off.

BRUKSHOT

Quote from: gleezer on March 19, 2015, 08:03:33 PM
Why not just use 2 3/4 inch shells in your 12 gauge and imagine it's a 20?

Exactly what I was thinking.  If the 12 is too heavy to hold steady, just simply use shooting sticks to support the weight.  A heavier 12 guage will kick much less than a lighter 20 gauge will.

Dr Juice

I would be more concerned about the kick of a 20-gauge for a child since it is usually a lot lighter in weight than a typical 12-gauge.

Cboy88

I feel the 20 gauge would be the better option, it's what I use bc it's light, easy to carry and move around. I think practicing with a lighter load would make the kid feel better mentally and when the shot is made on the bird they won't even focus on the recoil with the turkey load bc of the adrenaline rush. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk