turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Clark's article in Turkey Country?

Started by cornfedkiller, March 18, 2015, 10:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKFOOTER

Which LongBeard shell are you shooting in that combination, Longshanks??

Longshanks

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 22, 2015, 08:15:16 PM
Which LongBeard shell are you shooting in that combination, Longshanks??

Win LB 3" 6's. Most consistent patterns. Had trouble with Win LB 3" 5's/ .660 Kicks. Could just be my barrel.

model94

Was the Indian  Creek choke tested?

bushytail man

Clark,
what gun/barrel combination was the best performer?
Please explain the performance of the 835, if it was used against the others. Does the oversize bore of the 835 help?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: bushytail man on April 02, 2015, 08:48:44 AM
Clark,
what gun/barrel combination was the best performer?
Please explain the performance of the 835, if it was used against the others. Does the oversize bore of the 835 help?

For the 3" WLB shotshells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot evaluation, I used the following guns.

Benelli Vinci
Benelli SBE
Browning BPS
Mossberg 835
Mossberg 930
Remington 11-87

I evaluated chokes from:

Truglo
Mossberg
JEB's
Hevi-Shot
Trulock
Primos
Indian Creek
Comp N Choke
Wright's
Ballistic Specialties
Pure Gold
Kick's
Carlson's

It's very important to look at the exit diameters of the chokes used in the different thread types. They are not all the same even if the manufacturer is the same.

It's also very important to note that the temperatures when I shot these shells, never got above the mid 50s and for the most part was in the low 50s. The numbers are not as impressive as we see some times when folks shoot in the 60s and 70s. A matter of 10 or 20 degrees can make a huge difference in the number of hits in a 10" circle. Temperature is the variable that most influences patterns because hot air is less dense than cold air.

The 835/935 bores are very interesting and can certainly throw excellent patterns. They always benefit from "deep cleaning" even more than other barrels, at least in my experience.

There were fewer entries in the 835 class than any of the others. There were 7 in the "Crio", 5 in the Mobil, 6 in the Invector, 5 in Invector+, 5 in Rem-Chok, and 4 in the 835.

The Hevi-Shot choke had the highest numbers in the 835 class with 220 and no gaps of 2" or more and the SSX followed with 186.

In my work with both the WLB shells and the H-13 shells, the Hevi-Shot choke in the 835 was the best overall with numbers and quality of patterns. It was consistent and outstanding.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."