turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Clark's article in Turkey Country?

Started by cornfedkiller, March 18, 2015, 10:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornfedkiller

Has his article about all the different gun/choke/shell combos been posted anywhere online?  I usually get the magazine but haven't gotten that issue yet for some reason and would love to check out the article..

fountain2

Its kinda worded weird..the graphs show the numbers but the wording says different.  I'd like to see all the patterns and look by that.  I've heard that the article may have been tweaked some by nwtf and that the chokes that are said to have performed best actually weren't the better performers... that's why I'd like to see the pattern pics.  All looked good on paper according to the numbers.  The long beard shells shoot good. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: cornfedkiller on March 18, 2015, 10:16:06 PM
Has his article about all the different gun/choke/shell combos been posted anywhere online?  I usually get the magazine but haven't gotten that issue yet for some reason and would love to check out the article..

To the best of my knowledge, there's no link to the article at this time.

In reality, all 32 chokes, through the 6 different guns, put up good patterns. I also submitted 32 patterns but there was not space to print all of them. The chart accurately reflects the actual results. There were 2 results left off on the chart of 835 results, the Mossberg X-Factor with 147 hits and the SSX with 186 hits, neither had any 2" or more gaps, otherwise all the information was correct.

The editor elected to pull out the 3 highest scores of all the 32 patterns, the Hevi-Shot @ 220, the SSX @ 220 and the Pure Gold at 224. Those numbers were also accurate, however the SSX 220 was in Invector and not Invector+. That's the only error that I saw in the finished product.

It was a major project firing 96 shells, 3 for each choke tube, over a period of several weeks to make sure conditions were the same or very similar at each range visit. I shot 32 at each visit, and alternated the order each time, so that no one choke would have an advantage. I also wanted to make sure that I shot them as close to spring and fall temperatures as possible, in the low to mid 50s, consequently, the numbers were not excessively high.

The article and chart accurately reflect the results.

I have also done the same thing with Hevi-13 shells and whenever I can get the time, I will publish those results with a link to them so that everyone will be able to have access to the results.

This time of year is pretty crazy for me and I tend to publish the shorter, easier projects first.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SKFOOTER

So the article was tweeked some by NWTF??? :OGturkeyhead:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 19, 2015, 09:22:27 AM
So the article was tweeked some by NWTF??? :OGturkeyhead:

No. It was printed as it was written.

Thanks,
Clark

BHMTitan

Clark,

Could you list the results for each gun / choke / shell combo here on OG?

SCGobbler

That was going to be my next question BHMTitan!

Or your website Clark?
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

allaboutshooting

Quote from: BHMTitan on March 19, 2015, 10:20:20 AM
Clark,

I'll be happy to answer any specific question you may have about a particular gun or choke combination.

Thanks,
Clark

Mike Honcho

I am confused, if editors pulled the three highest numbers how was it published as written?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Mike Honcho on March 19, 2015, 07:41:13 PM
I am confused, if editors pulled the three highest numbers how was it published as written?

The editor published the article as written. He then selected the 3 highest scores of all the 32 chokes shot and had an "editorial comment" that they were the 3 highest. The reader can look at the chart and see that for himself. The editor just put a sidebar and stated that.

His comments were not a part of the article just a comment made by him.

Thanks,
Clark

Mike Honcho

Thanks for the clarification Clark...I misunderstood what you had said.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Mike Honcho on March 21, 2015, 05:18:17 AM
Thanks for the clarification Clark...I misunderstood what you had said.

You're welcome. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about a gun/choke combination.

Thanks,
Clark

Longshanks

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 19, 2015, 06:19:03 PM
Clark,

I'll be happy to answer any specific question you may have about a particular gun or choke combination.

Thanks,
Clark

Hey Clark, did you see pattern variations with any of the particular guns/ chokes? Curious about Rem 870 and Kicks .655.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Longshanks on March 21, 2015, 01:41:08 PM
Clark,

Thanks,
Clark

Hey Clark, did you see pattern variations with any of the particular guns/ chokes? Curious about Rem 870 and Kicks .655.

I shot the Kick's .655 through the Mossberg 930 and it die an excellent job. It turned in a 206, just behind the Pure Gold of 224 and the SSX with a 220. All those chokes in that gun had great patterns with no gaps 2" or larger.

I did not shoot that choke in the Rem-Choke guns however.

All chokes and guns were pretty consistent at this temperature. Where I saw the most variance was when I shot at temperatures that were warmer or cooler than the evaluation temperatures.

We quite often do not emphasize the difference that temperature makes in performance of a shotshell or of a shotshell and a particular turkey choke. I don't think that's intentional, it's just an unknown by many folks who have not taken the time or had the inclination to evaluate a variety of chokes and shells at different temperatures.

Maybe one of the real values of what I just did is the real interest on the part of some manufacturers to improve their products by evaluating for themselves the real variance that various temperatures can make on their products. I've had long conversations with some of them about this subject.

Thanks,
Clark

*corrected spelling error 4/2/15

Longshanks

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 21, 2015, 10:43:54 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on March 21, 2015, 01:41:08 PM
Clark,

Thanks,
Clark

I shot the Kick's .655 through the Mossberg 930 and it die an excellent job. It turned in a 206, just behind the Pure Gold of 224 and the SSX with a 220. All those chokes in that gun had great patterns with no gaps 2" or larger.

I did not shoot than choke in the Rem-Choke guns however.

All chokes and guns were pretty consistent at this temperature. Where I saw the most variance was when I shot at temperatures that were warmer or cooler than the evaluation temperatures.

We quite often do not emphasize the difference that temperature makes in performance of a shotshell or of a shotshell and a particular turkey choke. I don't think that's intentional, it's just an unknown by many folks who have not taken the time or had the inclination to evaluate a variety of chokes and shells at different temperatures.

Maybe one of the real values of what I just did is the real interest on the part of some manufacturers to improve their products by evaluating for themselves the real variance that various temperatures can make on their products. I've had long conversations with some of them about this subject.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks Clark. The variances I am seeing in the patterns with my 870 rigs with kicks .655 seem to be mainly after shooting a number of shots. As long as I am shooting a clean barrel the patterns stay uniform. So far, shooting from 60-80 degrees I am seeing variances of only 15-20 pellets. Thank you for your continued research.