Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is the least amount of stuff you can get away with?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 18, 2015, 09:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

To me this would mean,leaving the vest home. My essentials would be the obvious.
Camo head to toe.
The Ol 835.
1 wing bone.
1 box call.
1 mouth call (cutter)
Pocket knife.
1 soft seat.
1 Water
I would have a lot of confidence with just that. However........ There's a ton of stuff in my vest that I just wouldn't leave home without  ;D

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Gobspur

full camo
shotgun
2 shells
1 mouthcall

but more likely....
full camo
shotgun
3 shells
vest/seat cushion
3 mouthcalls
2 pots, 3 strikers
crow call
owl hoot
decoy
knife
flashlight
cell phone & extra battery
ziploc bags
disposable gloves
pruners
license
ink pen
rubber bands
water
snack
thermocell
can of chew

deerbasshunter3

Crawl79

I love my vest and all my calls and gadgets but after first weekend I hardly ever take it. I have my small fanny pack that I can fit everything I need for a successful hunt in.
Slate and couple strikers
mouth calls
bottle of water
flashlight depending on where I am hunting
compass
scratch box and chalk
But I pretty much never go in the woods without my gun and gobbler lounger on my back. Gobbler lounger will also normally have a 12' stake blind rolled up in it while traveling as well.

kevin2

Gun OR bow
ammo or arrows
mouth call
cell phone
wallet/license

AND TP! I have to HAVE tp! YOU might not need it, BUT I do! I don't care what outdoor adventure I'm going on, TP is coming!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Cut N Run

I have hunted with and killed turkeys using only a single shot with 3 shells (used one per hunt), a pot call & striker, one mouth call, camo coveralls, a mask, gloves, and camo cap.  That was when I was younger and I could sit on the ground without cushion, stool, or seat.

These days I use;
SBE II with Speed Bead, & Claw sling, loaded with 4 shells.

Camo Clothes;
Layers depending on temperature. Cap, Gloves, Mask, Snake Boots,

A Vest with;
5 more shells, a lighter, T.P. & wipes, Compass, Penlight, ThermaCell, Water, Dried Fruit & Nuts, Knife, Clippers, a few strands of wire to tie back bushes. Spare Cap, Gloves, & Mask.

One Long Box, 2 Pot Calls, 3 strikers, 5 mouth calls, a Lifetime Sportsman's License (since 1985) and Tags, Written Permission to Hunt On Private Land (when needed).

A Gobbler Lounger, a Stake Blind. About 25% of the time Jake/Hen or Strutter/hen Decoys.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

albrubacker

Quote from: jblackburn on March 18, 2015, 11:18:44 AM
Gun, shells, camo, and a call you are comfortable with is all you really need.

Not far from that for me would be therm-a-cell, TP, and my turkey seat.

A small saw or pruners are also good to consider for clearing limbs from a tree that poke you in the back or even building a quick natural blind

Agreed!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

turkey_slayer

This is all I've pretty much ever carried.

Gun with 6 shells
Slate, glass, 2 strikers
Mouth call
Water
Tp
flashlight
Knife
License
Pen if the state requires to fill out license on the spot
Scales
A box call once in a blue moon
Gloves and face mask only if it's cold

jakesdad

My stuff varies on length of time i've got to hunt,weather,where i'm hunting,time of season,etc.

But I have figured out the less I carry the more I will need to use the stuff I didnt bring,and the more I carry the less I need to use the stuff I brought  :z-dizzy:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Tennessee Lead

A lot less than I take lol! I go over prepared. I am lucky enough to hunt a place that allows me to cover several miles of hills hollers and ridge tops. I access from the bottom so it's a lot of walking and uphill either way. So I take with me
Gun
Shells
Now in my vest
4 pot calls
8 strikers
Conditioning stone/sand paper& Scotch brite
1 box call
2 mouth calls
Crow call
Owl call
Woodpecker call
Gloves
Mask
Handmade turkey tote
Cell phone
Thermacel
Camo handkerchief bad allergies
BC powders
Lighter for drying out slate
Spare battery for my scope
Flashlight
Pocket knife
Leafy bug suit when it warms up

I also carry a back pack
In it I keep
Video camera for self filming
Tripod for camera
Spare battery for camera
Tick repellent
Snacks & waters
Truck keys
Wallet with license
Hand pruners
3 decoys which I never use. I hunt timber the only field like openings are log yards. I hope to get set up in those sometime and film a Tom attacking a decoy.
I think if memory serves me that's all lol. I know it's a lot to deal with but I don't let it slow me down. I am very mobile with my set up.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Ihuntoldschool

Shotgun with 5 or 6 shells total counting the rounds in the shotgun. 
License
3-5 mouth calls
gloves
face paint
flashlight
sometimes a rangefinder
crow call
once in blue moon may take a slate call.
sometimes a snack.

Marc

The least amount of gear I could hunt with, would be one mouth call (or box call), one shell in the gun, and a gun...  Wearing camo clothes of course...

Now, what I actually take includes the clothes I wear out, and my gun with a sling, and here is what goes inside my vest:

• Multiple mouth calls (6-8)
  • 1-2 box calls
  • Small square of camo netting (to put over myself or the friction calls)
  • Camo mask and gloves
  • 6 shotgun shells (three of which are in the gun)
  • GPS (with coordinates back to the car).
  • Binoculars.
  • Toilet paper (how can you not include toilet paper in poison oak country?)
  • Camera
  • Phone
  • Water
  • Snacks

Even with my vest loaded with all of the above, it is still pretty light...  I might also include decoys, but generally they stay in the car...  Although I will use them if I am hunting with someone else.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Spring_Woods

Depends on where I'm hunting. My farm: I just pack 3-4 friction calls, gun, shells, mask. This all packs away in a small camo fanny pack.
Hunting the mainly woods birds, a vest with all the goodies usually loaded down too heavy.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Tony Harris

Whether I use it or not I always carry what I may need to stay the night. Accidents happen and I hunt way off the beaten path. My wife doesn't expect me home till dark when I leave before daylight, sometimes I am home for breakfast.

Without regard to clothes, in my vest:
(2) pot calls, one slate and one glass and (3) strikers
(1) box call and (4) mouth calls
TP, one bottle of water, and a couple granola bars
Thermocell, lighter, flashlight
3-5 extra shells, a pen, tie wraps
Extra gloves, extra mesh mask, 5' of paracord
GPS and cellphone
(1) hen decoy and (1) jake decoy

I seldom use the jake, heard one guy had his hen decoy shot last year in Winona. I usually leave a note in my truck about the general area I will be in and if things change I leave a message on my wife's phone. Lord the stuff I have bought, used once and left in the box or sold to the next guy. I do like a thick cushion but do not carry a folding seat. My Leatherman is always on me so that doesn't count. There is one area I like to hunt at least once a year that is 1.25 miles from the nearest open road. It is a beautiful place with small waterfalls and rocky spurs that go up several hundred feet. Wonderful deer hunting in there but I wouldn't shoot one to drag it out. Turkey are in there and about mid season get pushed further in. Most folks just don't like the walk but if you have enough stuff with you to make it comfortable its not that bad. I don't mind the load if I get to work a bird.

budtripp

If I had to I could (and have) get by with:

Shotgun
3 shells (in gun)
Camo
Favorite mouth call