OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help with choke choice

Started by greenheadIL, March 23, 2011, 06:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenheadIL

Alright boys, need a little help if you don't mind.  I have a Benelli SBE the original version.  I originally had a Hastings old ported choke and finally decided to finally upgrade this year.  I bought an Indian Creek .665 for the benelli and patterned the Winchester Extended Range 3.5 6's and they patterned horrible.  I then shot the Hevi 13 3.5 2.25 6's and patterned much better, but still only got around 160 in a 10" circle.  I still have more of the 6's and also have the Hevi 13 3 inch 6's and 3.5 2.25 7's to try to shoot.  Do you guys reccommend another choke that may shoot well out of the Benelli?  It looks like a lot of guys are having a lot of luck with the 7's so I'm hoping they shoot good.  Thanks for any info.

Also, with the Indian Creek, my pattern was 8-9 inches low at 40 yards, so I bought a Mueller Red dot and am going to mount it to a b square mount and see how that works so I can adjust if needed.

Jourdan_D

try the rest of your shells (3inch #6's and 3.5inch #7's) before you look for another choke

allaboutshooting

Quote from: greenheadIL on March 23, 2011, 06:33:30 PM
Alright boys, need a little help if you don't mind.  I have a Benelli SBE the original version.  I originally had a Hastings old ported choke and finally decided to finally upgrade this year.  I bought an Indian Creek .665 for the benelli and patterned the Winchester Extended Range 3.5 6's and they patterned horrible.  I then shot the Hevi 13 3.5 2.25 6's and patterned much better, but still only got around 160 in a 10" circle.  I still have more of the 6's and also have the Hevi 13 3 inch 6's and 3.5 2.25 7's to try to shoot.  Do you guys reccommend another choke that may shoot well out of the Benelli?  It looks like a lot of guys are having a lot of luck with the 7's so I'm hoping they shoot good.  Thanks for any info.

Also, with the Indian Creek, my pattern was 8-9 inches low at 40 yards, so I bought a Mueller Red dot and am going to mount it to a b square mount and see how that works so I can adjust if needed.

A lot of hunters and shooters are really getting great patterns with the shells that you've mentioned with their SBE and the SBEII and the Wright's #2 Turkey Choke. That choke is non-ported, has a crowned muzzle, a 1.3" parallel section and a .660 exit diameter.

That's just one option of course but I am seeing some excellent results with that one.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

We have had good luck with that gun.  They like the smaller chokes.  We set them up with 650 and Win Ex range
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SKFOOTER

I could never get an Indian Creek choke (.665 and .660) to pattern anything to my likeing in my SBE.  The best patterning choke I've found is the Jellyhead .655.  It gives me 250-300 pellets in a 10" circle @ 40 yards shooting the 3" and 3.5" Hevi-13 #7's.  Just make sure you aren't shooting Lot #300488 in the 3.5" loads.  

greenheadIL

Thanks for the replies guys, I was thinking about picking up a Jellyhead to try as they are pretty cheap to boot too.  Anybody else have any reccomendations?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Send that choke back to Inidan Creek and tell them you want a .655 and try that.  It's not the choke, it's just the wrong exit diameter for your bore.  If that don't work, get a .660.  One of them will work. 

greenheadIL

Thanks guys, I might give IC a call tomorrow and talk to them about a smaller diameter choke.  I was also thinking about a Pure Gold or Rhino.  Anyone else think I may get better results from one of these.  The one thing I don't like about the IC right now is it shoots 8-9 inches low at 40 yards.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Does your Hastings choke shoot low as well?  That probably isn't the Indian Creek choke that is casuiong your gun to shoot low.  I have heard that Benelli shotguns are known for their poi being off quite a bit from the poa with the factory bead.  You would think on a $1300-$1500 shotgun that they would get this right from the factory. 

greenheadIL

The Hastings choke shoots right on is what caught me by surprise, so it seems to be just the Indian Creek choke.  I even tried my dad's same IC choke and the same thing low at 40 yards.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: greenheadIL on March 24, 2011, 04:15:57 AM
The Hastings choke shoots right on is what caught me by surprise, so it seems to be just the Indian Creek choke.  I even tried my dad's same IC choke and the same thing low at 40 yards.

That's odd.  My Indian Creek choke and my MAD Super MAX(made by Indian Creek for my 870 both shoot about perfectly deadnut.  The Indian Creek .669 BDS shoots probably more so deadnut than the MAD, but it still shoots to about deadnut as well.  I have a Indian Creek .675 BDS for my 835 and it shoots right where my Star Dot and Tru-Glo SSX shoots which is low and to the left.  I put a Bushnel Tropy 1.5x4x32mm scope on it and it is dialed in with all 3 chokes now.  I really like it. 

I'll show you how the 870 will shoot with .669 Indian Creek BDS.  Just to show you with a bare bead I need no scope on that gun.  I love a gun that shoots where you aim it with the factory bead.  That's the way it should be.  Give me a second.   

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's the Indian Creek choke .669 BDS.  Those numbers underneath the big letters is about dead center of the cardboard.  These are 10" and 20" circles.  Both of these are 3" 2oz #7 loads.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's the MAD Super MAX .675 which is the best shooting choke I have shot so far for my 870.  

S.C.C

POI has more to do with how well your gun bbl. is made more than the extended choke you choose.
But a good solid made choke will help with the problem as well. :icon_thumright:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: S.C.C on March 24, 2011, 06:00:02 AM
POI has more to do with how well your gun bbl. is made more than the extended choke you choose.
But a good solid made choke will help with the problem as well. :icon_thumright:

That is very true, and whether or not the front bead is the correct height as well for the barrel to shoot more to poa.