OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kilt an Alabama Tom

Started by eminart, March 17, 2015, 04:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eminart

I've hunted for over 30 years, but I never really got into turkey hunting until last year. I killed my first turkey then. And, I killed my second this past sunday. I didn't get to hunt on Sat. (opening day) due to my daughter's B'day. But, I met my dad on Sun morning after about 1 1/2 hrs sleep and we drove over to some public land. I had 3 gobbling on the roost, but they and their hens went the opposite direction after they flew down. Later in the day, I called up some hens, but not much more action. My dad and I had agreed to head back toward the truck and meet around 4pm. So, I started walking that way, occasionally stopping to call. I got almost to the truck, and decided I was done. I put my calls in my pocket, took off my mask and gloves, and started to walk the remaining 200 yards to the truck. About 20 yards further, two gobblers flushed from beside the logging road. I instinctively shouldered my gun and shot as the trailing bird flew through the trees. I'm not sure who was more surprised, me or the turkey, but within 4 seconds of seeing him, he was flopping on the ground.

Not exactly a classic hunt, but as someone fairly new to the turkey game, I'll take it.

21.6lbs
7/8" spurs
10.5" beard

tomstopper

mgm1955

boomer

Fullfan

Nice and congrats, I love to see them come strutting and gobbling, but that is just me.
Don't gobble at me...

uarobert

dfresh55

thats a crazy way to get one on teh ground but id take it too!

beagler

Never Misses

porcupine

mozart_hunter

headshot870

Unconventional, but it's still a mark in the "w" column. Congrats!!!

taylorjones20

Nothing wrong with that! Good shootin!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

surehuntsalot

congrats on your flying turkey
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bammerslammer 50

Congratulations! I'd take that any day of the week.