Main Menu

3rd Degree - Range Time Today

Started by allaboutshooting, March 16, 2015, 04:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Quote from: owlhoot on March 17, 2015, 08:05:59 PM
Wow 188 in the 10 inch
Not bad with  the ssx At 40 yards

That's better than most get with the #7 HeavyWeight shells......Wouldn't have thought a choke designed to slow the wad would shoot the Federal so well.....

Gobble!

Clark,
I assume either the SSX 40 yard pattern on your site is wrong, there was not really 188 in the 10" and thats a typo, or that's 188 in the 20" circle. No where near 188 pellets in that circle, I count around 90. Maybe you drew a different circle around the denser part of the pattern?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gobble! on March 17, 2015, 10:58:26 PM
Clark,
I assume either the SSX 40 yard pattern on your site is wrong, there was not really 188 in the 10" and thats a typo, or that's 188 in the 20" circle. No where near 188 pellets in that circle, I count around 90. Maybe you drew a different circle around the denser part of the pattern?

Thank you. I must have been asleep when I published that picture. I went back and recounted the hits within the 10" circle for the SSX and you're correct. There were 98 hits, some doubles, in that circle, and not 188. I should have caught that from just looking at it but did not. I appreciate your catching it. I've made the correction in the article.

Thanks again,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

jordanz7935

deadbuck

I knew they were nothing I wanted, and your test confirmed it. Thanks for your work.

jwhunter

allaboutshooting

It was an interesting exercise. There are some definite changes in the Flitecontrol Wad that is in this shell. The most notable was that it functioned fully, even in the SSX with its .643 exit diameter. All petals fully deployed as did the brakes on the sides.

I also noted but it's worth repeating, that all shots were at or within maybe 1" of POA. When you vary choke exit diameters as much as I did, .710 to .643, I find that to be almost amazing.

I may need to go back and perform an actual count of the 14"-16"-20" halo pattern of each target. It was difficult to get a good picture that allowed all the hits to be seen, even with the yellow tint to them that I published.

I do appreciate the kind words and hope that in some way the information is helpful.

Thanks,
Clark

buck_hunter21

Spill Blood

allaboutshooting