OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

black hills turkey hunt

Started by tomklatt7658, March 15, 2015, 12:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomklatt7658

Taking my wife on her first turkey hunt we have chosen the black hills of south dakota as our destination ....any tips or info would be greatly appreciated ..thanks

sasquatch1

THERES A GOOD WRITE UP ON THE BLACK HILLS ON BULLNETTLENEWS.COM, CHECK IT OUT. ITS A MISSISSIPPI FORUM

jk6140

Thats a great write up.  Thanks for it.

tomklatt7658

Dtrkyman

wow, great read...so who is going with me?

sasquatch1

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 16, 2015, 02:44:17 PM
wow, great read...so who is going with me?

go toward the end of season when its the only season open and I can get off im game!

porcupine

Im heading over the last week of the season :dancingturkey:

jk6140

TauntoHawk

What's the bag limit for the black hills?
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Timmer

I absolutely love the Black Hills, turkeys or not.  I've hunted out there a few times.  I've never been one to drive around and call from in or near my vehicle as others may suggest, so I can't speak to that approach.  It seems to me you likely would miss the birds as I have always found them away from the open roads.  That may also be a result of my style as I like to sneak hunt, so I'm off the beaten path when I find them.  In my experience, you need to be willing to hike up hills and cover a lot of ground but there are certainly birds to be found.  Get a set of maps from National Geographic.  They are awesome and have all of the trails  listed.  One challenge I have had is that there is a ton of logging due to the pine beetle problems.  Every time I'm there I find a previous great area that is now all logged off.  I'm not sure how often aerial satellite photos are updated on the likes of google, but if I had some spots in mind from looking at the map, I'd pull up the aerial and see if it still is forest as the map would suggest. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

longbeards

The Hills are tough! There is not near the birds there where ten years ago,  but it is a great place hunt! Get away from the rds! AND you will birds. Someone asked what the bag limit  is,,One!!
The pararie is where it is at in SD!!

hobbes

I believe google just recently updated their maps.  I can now see the 2012 burned areas of the Pine Ridge in NE.  The BH is one shotgun tag for NR.  You may be able to get an archery tag in addition to the one gun tag.  You also need to apply online.

cornfedkiller

Hunted there a few years ago and it was awesome.  We didnt kill any birds as most were still in large winter flocks and hadnt moved into the hills yet, but had an awesome time camping out and enjoying the awesome scenery..

As someone else mentioned, get yourself the National Geographic maps.  They are awesome!

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/maps/travel-and-hiking-maps/trails-illustrated-hiking-and-recreation-maps/south-dakota/black-hills-national-forest-map-pack

porcupine

Thanks cornfed! They r 30%off this week :z-winnersmiley: