OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

anyone use a gobble tube?

Started by turkaholic, March 15, 2015, 11:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkaholic

I can credit two long beards in 2014 to my gobble tube, and one miss by my brother that should have been another notch in my Red Wolf gobble tube. Also called in a long beard last year for my other brother that was walking away, until I shook him up with a gobble. I know many think its dangerous, but I have had great successes in using this call. I mostly use it as a last resort call ,but have gained confidence enough to use it when many would be afraid to use it and screw up a bird. Trust me, if you are not using this strategy give it a try you might just be shocked. I don't run around the woods gobbling all over. I only use it when all else fails. But it works great.
live to hunt hunt to live

WildTigerTrout

I carry a gobble tube in my vest but the majority of the land I hunt is public property frequented by quite a few hunters and pressured birds. I will NOT use a gobble tube there, not because I am afraid it will mess up the birds but because of the safety issue. Even on private land I use it only as a last resort.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

BABS9

I always carry one. Couple birds have died because of a gobble tube.  I use it as a last resort though. If he is hung up and not coming in.

surehuntsalot

don't leave the camp without one
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Marc

If you hunt public land with a partner, you can take turns using the call, and drawing all the other hunters away from your area... :goofball:

I used a gobble-call last season, and had some responses from it...  Screwed the pooch on a bird I had coming in (he came in around me, and I moved at the wrong time)...

I will have one with me, but it is my last-ditch effort...

One thing I did notice, is that one morning, I was running and gunning without any responses...  I started using the gobble call without any responses...  Went back to the hen call, and the hills lit up with gobbles.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gobble!

I use a haint. They definately have their place.

Gooserbat

I use a box call and I believe a gobble call is an underrated call to have in your arsenal.  It can and will call toms to the gun.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TauntoHawk

Certainly can be an effective tool, it's turned birds around for me that were walking away fast.  I use a mouth call
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dr Juice

I use it as a last resort call. I've killed a couple gobblers using it. One of those gobblers walked away from the hunting trio into a field and I got him to make a u-turn. His curiosity got him a ticket to meet his maker.  That is one of my favorite hunts. Now I do not leave without it.  :turkey2:

10gaugemag

Excellent late season call when toms seem to be getting back together and completely ignore hen chatter.

Marc

Quote from: 10gaugemag on March 22, 2015, 10:26:53 PM
Excellent late season call when toms seem to be getting back together and completely ignore hen chatter.

Interesting...

I would think it would be a better early season call when the toms are establishing dominance...   Trying to draw in a henned up tom using a hen call followed by a gobble call...

I will try it late season this year when other calls are not working out... :thanks:
Did I do that?

eddie234

10gaugemag

Quote from: Marc on March 22, 2015, 10:32:42 PM
Quote from: 10gaugemag on March 22, 2015, 10:26:53 PM

Interesting...

I would think it would be a better early season call when the toms are establishing dominance...   Trying to draw in a henned up tom using a hen call followed by a gobble call...

I will try it late season this year when other calls are not working out... :thanks:
May work then too but I would hate to try it on a bird that has been whipped across 3 counties. I am sure it will always spook some birds as a grunt spooks some bucks, just have to take their temperature and find out.

CT Spur Collector

Yep, always carry one with me.

Marc

Quote from: 10gaugemag on March 22, 2015, 10:37:34 PM

May work then too but I would hate to try it on a bird that has been whipped across 3 counties. I am sure it will always spook some birds as a grunt spooks some bucks, just have to take their temperature and find out.

If I get close enough to get a thermometer in em' I can probably shoot em'. :goofball:

Seriously though, some of the most excited calling I have heard is from lonely jakes that don't have any tail feathers left from getting their butts kicked...

I typically pull out the gobble call when I know a tom is henned up...  Try that whole dominance thing...  But thinking about seeing those toms all group up at the end of the season, and trying a gobble call when nothing else is working is worth a shot...
Did I do that?