OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Inertia drive auto question

Started by gleezer, March 14, 2015, 07:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gleezer

I've been wondering how other inertia drive autoloader owners load up after they set up at their turkey spot. We've all been told how you must let your bolt slam closed or you have the possibility of having a fail to fire. Now I frequently set up very close to roosted turkeys, so there is no way I'm letting the bolt slam closed. That said, I just wonder how others are making out and if there are any stories out there.

foxred1962

Mine is loaded when I get out of the truck. I don't wait because they are to noisy and will spook gobblers. Make sure it is on safety and be extra mindful to use the most important safety which is the one between your ears.

drenalinld

SBEII and M2 I slide bolt slowly then givr bolt head a little turn up to lock. With Wolf spring it will lock even closed slowly.

K9Doc

:TrainWreck1:
Quote from: drenalinld on March 14, 2015, 08:59:49 AM
SBEII and M2 I slide bolt slowly then givr bolt head a little turn up to lock. With Wolf spring it will lock even closed slowly.

Get a $13 Wolf spring!!!!!
Slams like Shaq!!!
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

drenalinld

I have wolf springs. I don't want anything slamming 100 yards or less from a roosted gobbler.

taylorjones20

Quote from: foxred1962 on March 14, 2015, 07:58:14 AM
Mine is loaded when I get out of the truck. I don't wait because they are to noisy and will spook gobblers. Make sure it is on safety and be extra mindful to use the most important safety which is the one between your ears.

X2
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Snoodsniper

Yep. load when you get out of the truck.

the Ward

Wait till the bird is gobbling then slam it shut. If you are close enough to the gobbler he's going to hear even a pump sliding closed on a still morning. When he is gobbling it will help cancel out some of his hearing. They shock gobble at all kind of noises though so I don't think a bolt slamming shut will spook them unless your really close and its still dark. I haven't spooked any that I noticed by doing this yet. But there is always a chance, turkeys being turkeys after all, lol!

the Ward

Quote from: Snoodsniper on March 14, 2015, 11:04:17 AM
Yep. load when you get out of the truck.
Be careful though about doing that.In some States it's a violation to have a loaded gun before and after legal shooting times. Check your local regulations to be sure. I never load up till it gets light/ I get to where I'm going to set up. To much of a chance of tripping and falling sneaking around in the dark with a loaded firearm, especially if your not hunting alone.

drenalinld

Every man is responsible for himself and his weapon. I rarely walk with a loaded weapon especially in the dark. I was taught do NOT load a gun until ready to kill. You can load it quietly if you want. I know most load at the truck. As mentioned, illegal in some states. Just be careful. I would choose spooking a bird any day over accidental discharge.

I have clicked on a gobbler with an unloaded gun I failed to load. Still, my choice is load after setup.

budtripp

Load it at the truck and no need to worry.  And if you insist on doing so once set up all it takes is a small push up on the bolt head with your index finger to seat it once you ride it home.

mudhen

Know your gun and keep the lock up area clean...

With so many guns using a rotating bolt now these days (all SBE, Vinci, New A5, etc), a shooter should be able to visually ID if the bolt is locked up...

Loading up beforehand does not assure that the bolt won't get bumped before the hunt...

I mark my ID guns to show where the extractor should be when locked in place...

The New A5 has a shroud cover, so I use a little flashlight to check the bolt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

budtripp

Oh I know if my super black eagle is in battery by feel, I got buddies who like to play pranks in the duck blind whenever you step out for something.  :angry9:

Snoodsniper

I guess being an avid rabbit/ bird hunter I don't think much about carrying a loaded gun around in the dark or otherwise. Some of the junk I walk through chasing beagles makes walking around in the dark seem insignificant. I know coon hunters that carry a loaded gun all night. In my area game officers won't bother you unless you have a loaded weapon in or leaning on your vehicle. Checking game laws is good advice but I don't want to be racking my pump anywhere near my setup and my semis are louder yet. Do whatever you're comfortable with.

turkey_slayer

Ease the bolt down. When it gets close to shutting take your left hand and manually turn the locking head and ease it shut. Quiet as a mouse this way. I load as soon as I get about 100 yards from the truck. Highly recommend the stiffer wolff spring to keep it from coming out of battery