Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does a pistol grip effect anything negatively?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 13, 2015, 11:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Long story short, my wife and I are on a budget and have a little more spending money. I may get a pistol grip for my Rem 870 SM.

If I get one, is there any reason why I may need to go to the range, other than just to make sure it stays on?

I can only assume that it would not affect the POA or POI. I just do not know if I will have another chance to get to the range before my season starts.

I would have no problem handling the gun in my house (checked, rechecked, and checked again, of course) just to get used to holding it with a pistol grip, but I do not want to get out on my first day and not be able to hold it correctly or shoot it comfortably.

Any difference in terms of pistol grip vs. thumb hole grip, other than looks?

owlhoot

I would say to leave your gun just the way it is.
You have it patterned and ready to go the way it is. Your familiar with it now.
If you cant shoot it some beforehand it might affect you and your confidence. :z-twocents:

Go setup your decoys and blind and get your first turkey.

Save that money for the taxidermist !

budtripp

It'll make it uglier but wouldn't think it would change much else about the gun.

Ridge Rooster

IMO, it would do nothing but make your gun a little better for turkey hunting, but most deffinetly not neccesarry.

Good luck!

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Strick9

As long as your beads and sight picture is the same it will shoot the same unless it severely alters your trigger pull angle or something. I love a pistol grip for turkey however not for wing shooting one bit.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

Snoodsniper

It could change your sight plane and throw your poa/poi off. Don't do it until you can put in some range time to check. Other than that I think you will be very happy with it.

Skyhawk

I bought the Remington pistol grip stock for my 11-87. I like it when I'm set up for extended periods. It seems to stay put better. I'm not as fond of it while carrying it slung over the shoulder. I also have noticed that I tend to pull low sometimes on shots. I've had the pistol grip ever since they came out. I will generally put it on for turkey season but there have been a few years that I've stayed with the regular stock. Overall, I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase a pistol grip again. I also have a normal stocked BPS that will often get the nod over the pistol grip when I head out to turkey hunt.

the Ward

I would hunt with your current setup and see how everything works out. Then at the end of season evaluate what you liked and what you would change. Then you will have all summer to experiment. I have done some stuff that sounded like a good idea on paper, then after I actually hunted with it decided it wasn't so hot. I like a pistol type grip on a turkey gun. I tried one last year and wasn't sure I would like it, but after using it all season I  wouldn't want to hunt without it. I would think if you are running an optic it shouldn't change your sight it, but if you are shooting beads it will. If you do swap one on make sure you can get out to shoot it before you hunt with it. Good luck and be safe!

Gobble!

No. Any gun that I plan on turkey hunting with in the future will have a pistol grip.

30_06

If your stock dimensions don't change you will be fine. I personally like a pistol grip.

deerbasshunter3

I am surprised there are so many mixed reviews about a pistol grip.

chatterbox

For me, I love a pistol grip.
However, on the Mossbergs I don't care for it due to the top tang safety. Just too hard for me to reach up, and take the safety off. Much easier to do with a standard stock.
If I had a Remington, I would definitely run with a pistol grip. No question. That being said, I would go out and shoot a few rounds just to get comfortable, and to make sure everything is still the same. After I make ANY changes to my gun, I always make sure that it is going to work during the season, and I don't get surprised.

Shaky Jake

Lots of turkeys died before pistol grips and thumb hole stock got popular. Some say they make you more accurate but I'm not sure about all that. For me, I like them. But that's just out of comfort.

Gobble!

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 14, 2015, 11:17:28 PM
I am surprised there are so many mixed reviews about a pistol grip.

Post a topic about Reese cups and it will go the same way. It's all personnel preference. Some people like um some don't. I'm one that will never want a turkey gun without one, the grip that is but I normally pick up a Reese cup for the hunt too.

g8rvet

I don't believe in eating Reeses.  It does not honor the peanut that it is not the main attraction in the candy and dishonors the regal peanut. 

:drool: :lol: :drool:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.