turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions on the avian x

Started by KYHeadhunter02, March 13, 2015, 09:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have the DSD leading hen, and it looks nice.  I wish it were a bit darker, as having had hens come into the decoy, it is considerably lighter than the hens I see.  I purchased the leading hen, cause there was nothing else available, but upon reflection, with the stake out, it becomes a breeder, and with the stake in, it looks realistic as well...  If I were only going to purchase one hen decoy, the leading hen would be my choice.

I just purchased the Avain X jake, and I made the purchase cause the decoy is a bit over 1 lb lighter (DSD jake comes in at just over 6 lbs and the Avian X at 5 lbs from my understanding), and collapsible if necessary (although it is a pain to blow up).

No doubt at all that the DSD is considerably more durable.  But the Avian jake has far better and more realistic movement with a slight breeze than does my DSD hen.

Comparing my jake to my buddies DSD, I like the pose of the DSD a bit more, and I am not overly fond of the barn-red paint scheme of the head on the Avian.  However, from 20 yards away, I actually think the Avian looks every bit as much like a real turkey, and with the motion of the Avian in a soft breeze, it looks considerably more life-like.

I have not hunted over the Avian X, but if it holds up reasonably well, my choice would likely be the combination of DSD hen and Avian jake, or Deception hen and Avian jake...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

beagler

I've used both. I prefer the DSD's.
Never Misses

Snoodsniper

There's a lot of back and forth between avain x and DSD. One things for sure either is a huge improvement over the old feather flex and I used them for years. I personally use avian x and they are nice decoys.

deerbasshunter3

I purchased an Avian X feeding hen over a DSD due to the price. To me (rookie), they both look real enough that I don't feel as though either would make much of a difference over the other. Here are a few observations I have made so far:

Looks realistic.

I filled it up with air, but had lost some air after about a week. To its defense, even bike tires will lose air if just stationary for a long enough period of time.

Seems as though it will move a little with a slight breeze.

People have been killing turkeys over $10 foam decoys for years. Makes one wonder if spending this money on a decoy is even necessary.

Sampsta

I can honestly say I have killed all my birds with 0 decoys I have had no luck with them. Year each year I look for one to give it a shot I was considering the avian x . But then the cricket on my shoulder pops up and reminds me that the tactics I'm using now work just fine. Maybe it's I want to catch on video a long beard beating the snot out of a decoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KYHeadhunter02

1tiogabowhunter

I have both Avian X and the DSD decoys.  I had the DSD first but they are to bulky to fly on my out of state hunts.  So I got the Avian X's and they work really well for air travel.   That being said if I was not going to fly I would buy DSD.  They are more durable and actually seems to be a bit lighter and more realistic. 

Both are deadly!