turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions on the avian x

Started by KYHeadhunter02, March 13, 2015, 09:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

I need a new hen decoy without breaking the bank. The avians look nice, but do they hold up?

ThunderChickenGetter

This will be my first season using the Avians, they seem very durable. Of course they're inflatable so if they take a couple pellets from a shotgun I'd say they won't stay inflated but that's nothing one can't fix.

Kylongspur88

When retiring my old feather flex blue head hen I looked at both the avian and dsd. I went with the dsd. The avian is a good looking decoy and very realistic, but it is inflatable and I think made overseas. The dsd is the most realistic decoy I've ever seen and in my opinion more durable. Chose whichever, I just couldn't justify not spending the extra 30 or 40 bucks and not getting the dsd.

Chilly

Pros....good looks, durable,
Cons.... heavy, and a little bulky

You have to give up the mentality of a folding decoys compact size when folded up.
I have been using them for a few years now.  My hen has pellets rattling around in her.  Used a syringe and liquid electrical tape to re seal her.  Holds air fine now.
I'd recommend them.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

jordanz7935

They hold up great in my experience.Ive had my lookout hen 4yrs now. Last year on my last hunt of the spring, i stopped on the way back to the truck to shoot a few patterns out of my new 20 ga. Well i walked that same route to a tree stand early this fall and there hanging from a treelimb, is my aian x hen in its bag. I couldnt beleive i left that thing in the woods for 4 and a half months without realizing it. A little soap and water to wash off mildew stains and it looks as good as new.Midway USA has them on sale right now. Cant beat an avian x for $65.

ScottS

I bought a couple about a month ago, brought them home and one was leaking as soon as I put air in it. Took me back and got another one. So far it's holding air and they look really nice. I looked at both the DSD and avians. In my opinion the avians are no heavier than dsd's and if you had to deflate them and fold them in your vest you could. We will see how they hold up, I think I will end up liking them despite the hiccup after I purchased them. Hope that helps.

2eagles

I used my A-X breeder hen last year and bought a feeder to go with it this season. I have a couple of thoughts on their durability. First, last year my hen was attacked by a pit bull type dog. The sob hit her on a dead run and tackled her before I could react to what was going on. The stake was broken and there was blood on my decoy. Made me feel better that the dog must have been poked in the fight because I'm sure my decoy wasn't bleeding. Second, I store my A-X with the air valve open. Even then, unless I force air out, the decoy looks good enough to use hunting, so I'm thinking even if some one (dummy) shoots my hen it would still be usable.

aaron

For what they cost I think they look like crap.  Way too lightly colored in my opinion.  Looks like a $30 dollar decoy to me.  Im surprised as avians waterfowl decoys are much more realistic in my opinion.  spend an extra little bit and get a Dakota or DSD

TauntoHawk

I wouldn't trade my avian decoys for dsd decoys straight up. Not a chance

They are 2oz heavier if that's an issue you can always leave 1 extra call at home.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fullfan

Over priced is what I think. Decoys are not needed to kill mature gobblers.

Just my .02
Don't gobble at me...

MAKEemQUIVER

No question they will work just fine, after owning both the avian X and DSD I would spend the little extra and buy a DSD. My cousin has three of the Avian X's and none of the three will hold air, so now he is buying a couple DSD's.
DSD's are awesome!!

LIke Fullfan said they are not needed to kill gobblers, but man they sure are fun to use imo  :you_rock:
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

jhcats10

Love my avians. I hunt out of state every year and the ability to collapse them and save some storage space is a huge benefit. They look great and are very durable.  I couldn't imagine packing two plastic decoys that can't collapse, especially for that kind of money.

kevin2

I looked at the DSD and Avian side by side yesterday at Cabelas, and there isn't very little difference. If I didn't know the price difference before I looked at them, then I'd say that they were in an identical price range. To me, I can't see the extra cost being worth it unless you simply want to support american workers. That is, if the DSD is 100% made in the usa, which I'm not sure of.

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

mudhen

Even though I own an Avian jake, I prefer DSD hands down...

I know my Avian will eventually have an air leakage problem, but I need a traveling jake...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka