turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box call suggestions

Started by ThunderChickenGetter, March 13, 2015, 08:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenGetter

I've got 4 different pot calls, no telling how many mouth calls, but I'm looking into getting a box. Any suggestions? Not looking to spend too much but I'd like to have a nice sounding call.

bbcoach

Here's a couple from Spring Creek.  I have bought two from Mike and their all Turkey.   http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,51866.0.html   

Muzzy61

You can get one from Spring Creek for under $40. Great call at a great price.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Spitten and drummen

Imo Albert Paul makes one of the finest box calls out there. They are a little pricey but man are they nice. Not to mention they will probably be a collectors item one day
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

zelmo1

:blob10: I am a Spring Creek fan also. I have a long box and a short box plus 2 scraters of his. Good calls

M Sharpe

I like a Russell Beard longbox and a Richard Hudson henbox
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

ThunderChickenGetter

I'm thinking about ordering one from spring creek, what's a good sounding wood combo? I'm sure they all sound good but I just wondering what yalls preferences are. I don't have much experience with box calls as far as types of wood.

Muzzy61

Quote from: ThunderChickenGetter on March 14, 2015, 09:13:19 AM
I'm thinking about ordering one from spring creek, what's a good sounding wood combo? I'm sure they all sound good but I just wondering what yalls preferences are. I don't have much experience with box calls as far as types of wood.
I have a black walnut over maple & blood wood over red cedar. Both sound great.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

bbcoach

Here is Mike's contact info.  Give him a call and tell him what you are looking for or ask him questions.  He should have some that he can play for you.  Great guy and Great Call maker.  gobblez@aol.com  H/P 269 963-1058           

ThunderChickenGetter

Thanks! I'll be getting in touch with him soon.

TauntoHawk

I've picked up a few lately from Al shoemaker SS custom calls and Frank Kruer III... They talk turkey and don't break the bank
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

coyote1

Quote from: ThunderChickenGetter on March 14, 2015, 09:13:19 AM

Another vote for mikes calls. I have a yellow heart over black walnut and cherry over poplar, both sound great.

Marc

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 14, 2015, 06:04:31 AM
Imo Albert Paul makes one of the finest box calls out there. They are a little pricey but man are they nice. Not to mention they will probably be a collectors item one day

I just received one from him as a birthday present from my wife (I guess she wants me out of the house)...

I really liked the call, and enjoy the personal touches he puts on the call...  I told him what I wanted, and what I was using the call for, and took his recommendations on the wood and sound production...  I think a number of good custom call-makers will talk to you, and recommend the wood and style of call you are looking for to suit your needs...

The difference in price between a good custom call, and a mass-produced call is about the cost of gas for me to go hunting...  However, I do like a couple of the Lynch calls (and the cheapest one stays in my truck in case I want a less expensive call to use on a rainy day), and the Primos Heartbreaker is a good call as well.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

drum817

Take a look at the SS field grade box calls..... Pure turkey.... Guaranteed!!!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Big Guy

I've had a lot of luck with my Quaker Boy Grand Old Master.