OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cheating?

Started by dejake, March 12, 2015, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m7carroll

I keep one in my backpack. I carry the backpack when I take my kids hunting. On the rare occasion that I get to hunt alone, I put 3 shells in my gun and my favorite slate in my shirt pocket. I too have had people tell me that it was cheating but my response to them is this: Everybody hunts a little bit different and I watched my oldest son shoot his first turkey right off the decoy and just before his 4th birthday. If they are legal, use it if you want. I usually run and gun and hunt the thicker woods so they wouldn't really help much. I try to take my kids to fields or open woods and a decoy does help there. Not to mention it gives the birds something to look at other than my boys who are usually shaking so bad that they can barely breathe!

deerbasshunter3

They can't be cheating because I've been setup on decoys for about an hour and a half and haven't seen a turkey yet.

trb136

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 12, 2015, 03:44:51 PM
Quote from: dejake on March 12, 2015, 12:58:01 PM
I've seen a few posts where folks' opinions are that using decoys is cheating.  I don't get it.  Can someone expound upon that philosophy?

Just reply with, "This guy thinks we're ALL cheaters..."

Amen Brotha

hoyt

I quit using them yrs ago simply because I don't like fooling with them.

g8rvet

Let's see.
1) No decoys for turkey hunting.
2) Sight casting for tarpon with flyrod only. No bait, no blind casting, no spinning reels.
3) Cupped and committed in the decoys only for ducks and geese. Absolutely no passing shots, ever.
4) No live or cut bait for redfish.  Lures only - ever.
5) No keeping a legal Speckled Trout over 20" (Gator Trout) - unless it is to win a tournament (evidently, tournament winning fish do not breed).

It must be a terrible burden to be preaching the message to the unwashed masses.  The funny thing is, I don't think that the "experts" and the "respect the bird"ers realize that no one really cares what they think.  We all do what is within our own ethics first, laws second. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Bill Cooksey

Strictly a personal choice. Personal ethics and preferences often change in many aspects of our lives. I've killed them over decoys, and I've killed them from blinds. I've killed them by ambush, and I've crawled up a ditch kill 'em. I'm at a point in my journey where I really don't care to kill one by any of those methods. I simply don't get the same thing from them, and I'm physically able to take the game to the bird and work him with no visual aids.

Heck, when hunting open areas/fields, it makes things more interesting to figure out where to set up so the bird will be in range before he would expect to see a decoy. Using a low, or high, spot, setting up around a point or simply backing 20 yards into the woods rather than sitting on the field edge adds an element I enjoy. That doesn't make it the only right way to hunt. Just makes it the way I prefer, and my preferences are subject to change as I move on in life.

I will say, you'll become a better turkey hunter quicker if you commit to ditching decoys for a few years. It could mean eating a tag or two, and that might not be an acceptable tradeoff. Strictly a personal choice.

Gobble!

Do duck and goose hunters ever argue about this?

jakesdad

Quote from: Gobble! on April 10, 2015, 05:42:15 PM
Do duck and goose hunters ever argue about this?

No but they do argue why brand x is far more superior to brand y and vice versa.And much worse than turkey hunters do!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Cutt

Like guesswho summed it up, best response yet!

Quote from: guesswho on March 12, 2015, 01:58:04 PM
My opinion on this, and that's all it is, my opinion.  Some will agree and some will think its arrogant bs from a crazy ole coot who happens to turkey hunt.   But the higher your skill level in turkey hunting the more decoys can hurt you.  The lower your skill level the more they can help you.   Basically a guy who understands the game and the bird will kill more turkeys without a decoy than he would with.   A guy with less understanding and knowledge will kill more with a decoy than without.  Take it for what it's worth!

Dtrkyman

Quote from: guesswho on March 12, 2015, 01:58:04 PM
My opinion on this, and that's all it is, my opinion.  Some will agree and some will think its arrogant bs from a crazy ole coot who happens to turkey hunt.   But the higher your skill level in turkey hunting the more decoys can hurt you.  The lower your skill level the more they can help you.   Basically a guy who understands the game and the bird will kill more turkeys without a decoy than he would with.   A guy with less understanding and knowledge will kill more with a decoy than without.  Take it for what it's worth!

You must not have ever used a stuffer decoy!

Vabirddog

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 10, 2015, 06:14:33 PM

Only on the beach, and they still say "Call me, Call me!

Cutt

Quote from: Vabirddog on April 10, 2015, 06:23:52 PM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 10, 2015, 06:14:33 PM

Only on the beach, and they still say "Call me, Call me!

I'll have to try that, never had any luck with a potato.

TrackeySauresRex

Wow! We have 6 pages on deeks this time. This may be an OG record   :TooFunny:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Greg Massey

I see nothing wrong in using decoys. Some of us hunters are of age and can't run and gun like the younger hunters. I see no difference in using decoys for those who don't use decoys and ambushs turkeys in fields etc. Most people who ambush turkeys never call to the birds. So I say each his on and even if you do use decoys you still have to have skills in calling turkeys.

ridgerunner

Quote from: dejake on March 12, 2015, 12:58:01 PM
I've seen a few posts where folks' opinions are that using decoys is cheating.  I don't get it.  Can someone expound upon that philosophy?

I actually feel a decoy handicaps a turkey hunter..never helped me, i quit using them years ago and my success doubled...go figure.