turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cheating?

Started by dejake, March 12, 2015, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbraham

Camo, chokes, turkey loads, decoys etc.........all cheating? I'm sure the first native to take a turkey with a bow was frowned upon because he didn't use the traditional atlatl. Times change and it's time to move on

deerbasshunter3

If it is legal, go for it.

To me, decoys are in the same category as every other piece of equipment that we use. Yes, they may make it easier for some, but that is probably what makes it enjoyable for some as well.

If I had to use a stick and a rock, or my hands, to kill a deer or a turkey, I would not hunt.

guesswho

Quote from: turkey buster on March 13, 2015, 01:00:34 PM
WHEN DID TURKEY HUNTING BECOME ABOUT SOMETHING OTHER THAN KILLING TURKEYS???
For me it was the first time I experienced a hunt that required interaction between my Dad, myself and a turkey.

Keep in mind I'm pro decoy.  I wish everyone was required to carry and use at least one except me.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

g8rvet

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 13, 2015, 01:54:10 PM
If it is legal, go for it.

To me, decoys are in the same category as every other piece of equipment that we use. Yes, they may make it easier for some, but that is probably what makes it enjoyable for some as well.

If I had to use a stick and a rock, or my hands, to kill a deer or a turkey, I would not hunt.

Anytime you can work the word atlatl into a sentence, you have done well!  :z-winnersmiley:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Ihuntoldschool

I agree with silvestris, cheapens would be the more politically correct term given the strong feelings. I can go with that cheapens instead of cheating.

This debate appears to show a division here between hunting/killing given some of the responses. I guess you have to decide if you are a hunter or a killer.

Rwgrobe

I like the challenge of calling in a tom to a non- existing hen. In my opinion watching decoys would be boring more likely fall asleep. I would rather cover a lot of ground for a constant change of scenery. But to each thier own type of enjoyment.

owlhoot

:help: :help: :help: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :TrainWreck1:The seasons need to get underway fast :fud:
In the meantime dont use the cheatin 3 1/2" longbeardshells, auto 12 gauge shoootnsticks but keep them goobler loungers for the mid morning naps.

turkey_slayer

So for the guys saying it's legal can i use a rifle? It's legal here so I'm assuming I would get a congrats if I posted a kill pic with rifle? I would get strung up, clothes ripped off, scrubbed with a wool brush, gas poured on me then set on fire :)

silvestris

The rifle is a fine turkey gun with the right load and if not used past 40 yards.  It is illegal in most states because many chose to ride around in vehicles and pot shoot gobblers strutting in other peoples fields and then go to town to brag about their calling ability.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

taylorjones20

OMG... This is the reason I avoid so many other forums... smh
Alive only by the Grace Of God

the Ward

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 13, 2015, 06:50:36 PM
So for the guys saying it's legal can i use a rifle? It's legal here so I'm assuming I would get a congrats if I posted a kill pic with rifle? I would get strung up, clothes ripped off, scrubbed with a wool brush, gas poured on me then set on fire :)
A rifle was the traditional way in America to take turkeys. This calling them in to short range and dispatching them with a scattergun is a fairly recent development in the grand scheme of things. I truly feel sad for those that think they are superior to others because they choose to hunt a certain way. I can assure them they are not. This whole thread has been an exercise in silliness. The use of decoys for game dates back at least several thousand years that we know of. Can't get much more "old school" than that. How do ya think those Native Americans got all of those eagle feathers? Do you think that "cheapened" them? I really don't use turkey decoys but every once in awhile. I don't like carrying one around and I'm afraid I'll get shot at. The few times I  did use it the turkeys spooked away from it anyways! But if guys want to use them have at it. Well, I got to go now and get all those duck and goose dekes put in the garbage.   

Gobble!

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 13, 2015, 06:50:36 PM

If its legal that sounds good to me. Just don't shoot anyone or you will get strung up, clothes ripped off, scrubbed with a wool brush, gas poured on you then set on fire :)
Why any hunter would give another grief just because they legally do something different then them blows my mind. Guess its just hard headed people who think its their way or the highway. Probably the same type of people who sit in their trucks on youth day guarding birds in public areas they have hunted their entire lives.

howl

I used to use decoys. I even tried sitting in one of those pop up blinds a time or two. I gravitated away from it because it just didn't fit in with learning to understand turkeys and how to get close by being part of what goes on in the woods. If that is hard to swallow, then at least consider this: You can buy dekes, blinds and time on a bait plot loaded with turkeys. You cannot buy old school on public ground. You have to learn it and earn it by hunting; not shopping. It is a further level of immersion in hunting turkeys.

I don't think it's cheating because for it to be cheating, there'd have to be a direct sense of competition. Watching dekes in a bait plot from a blind isn't even the same sport as using woodsmanship and calls in the woods. Kill 'em however you like, but recognize that your trophy may have no appeal to someone who defines his trophy differently.

Ihuntoldschool

Nice post howl.   We all have different standards on what is fair play and what is not, and what level of respect we choose to show for the bird.  For many of us the hunt is more important than the kill.   

KY LONGBEARD

Who cares whatever body thinks. If you go through life thinking what somebody else is gonna think well that won't get YA no where. If it's legal do it. We are all human no one is gonna think same way. Hunt the way you want to, CAUSE I DO.  ;). Good luck.