OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cheating?

Started by dejake, March 12, 2015, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericjames

It doesn't bother me what anyone else hunts with I just know that I'm not going to carry them. So no, I don't think anyone is cheaters that use them.

ericjames

Let me add to that. As long as you don't think by me using a gobbler lounger is cheating!

deerbasshunter3

This is how I see it:

We use state of the art compound bows, semi-auto shotguns with scopes, treestands/blinds, scent killing products, calls, cameras, GPS, etc...

If we are not already "cheating", using a decoy(s) is not putting the odds in our favor any more than it already is.

That is all that needs to be said on this topic. This post can end on this comment.

Ihuntoldschool

Interesting viewpoint. If the decoy does not help put the odds in your favor, why would anyone bother to use/carry them?

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 13, 2015, 10:33:46 AM
Interesting viewpoint. If the decoy does not help put the odds in your favor, why would anyone bother to use/carry them?

I think what I meant to say was that a decoy does not give anymore advantage than any of the other state of the art equipment that we use.

For example: Take away the shotgun and give a hunter a recurve. Having the best looking decoy in the world is not going to make it any easier on him now that he is using a primitive weapon, which he may not be proficient enough with to be successful.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 13, 2015, 08:03:37 AM
I completely agree with Blong.  He DID have to shoot that bird, that is the way the game is played. Once you decide to introduce them into the game, you have to be prepared for what can happen. But, I can only imagine the pain he went thru afterwards, I do not ever want to be in that position.

Now I don't care if you use them or not. But with the decoys available now, it is like having a live bird out there in front of you. To me it is more about how you play the game, not about winning or losing on any given day/hunt.

I still think there is something to be said for the "True Turkey Hunters" who really learn/learned how to hunt these birds they way they were intended to be hunted without taking any shortcuts or disrespecting the bird in any way.

If any "true" hunter can't figure out how he's going to feel about shooting an animal before pulling the trigger, he has no business pulling the trigger.

jwhunter

jwhunter

its legal to smoke weed in Colorado but it doesn't make it right! ....  :popcorn:

I'm just stirring the pot

alloutdoors

Quote from: jwhunter on March 13, 2015, 11:40:18 AM
its legal to smoke weed in Colorado but it doesn't make it right! ....  :popcorn:

I'm just stirring the pot
If you're stirring it I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong, ask one of those Colorado boys to help you out.

silvestris

Perhaps cheating is too strong of a word because of the feelings that the use of the word cheater brings out in the one to whom the finger has been pointed.  It is a loaded word.  I think that the proper word is "cheapens" as the use of a decoy is designed to remove all wildness from the gobbler so that he runs to the decoy as fast as he can because of the temporary loss of his inate wildness.  In effect, he (the gobbler) has been cheapened;  he has been temporarily rendered unwild.  He is no longer a worthy adversary.  Now whether the decoy user has cheapened himself through the use of decoys is a personal question that can only be answered by the individual.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

HogBiologist

As far as I'm concerned I will continue to legally hunt. I use no decoy in the am, since I usually don't have time to set him up. I will continue to use a decoy in the afternoon, since I set up and call them into me. I will continue shooting a bird that is legal and makes me happy. Jakes are off limits by law, so that rules out jakes. When I deer hunt, I will shoot a deer (legally) if I want him/her. I don't care what anyone thinks about how I hunt. I killed most of my deer this year in unwashed street clothes. Didn't need scent lock, or even Camo. After I kill my first bird this year, I may try the same thing with turkeys.

And through it all, I won't care what any other hunter thinks about how I hunt. Guess what, I once killed a cornered coyote with a stick and big rock. It don't get more primitive than that.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

turkey buster

WHEN DID TURKEY HUNTING BECOME ABOUT SOMETHING OTHER THAN KILLING TURKEYS???

If it's legal and it helps you bag your bird then go for it!!

stinkpickle

Quote from: turkey buster on March 13, 2015, 01:00:34 PM

I'm not sure how exactly, but I'm gonna blame Obama.  ;)

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: turkey buster on March 13, 2015, 01:00:34 PM

Well said.