OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just Got A Reply From Letha At Nitro

Started by SKFOOTER, March 23, 2011, 10:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKFOOTER

She told me that after talking to a technician, he told her that shooting steel through my SBE would open up the center core density of my pattern, thus reducing my pellet count in the 10" circle at 40 yards shooting the #H51013A Straight 7's.  I'm having this problem at the patterning board.  Does this sound logical??

Mossy517

Are you saying you shot steel in the past through your gun and they are blaming that for opening up your pattern while shooting 7's? What do they think the steel did to your barrel that would ruin your patterns?

Seems a bit far fetched to me.....
HuntingPA... Lacaster, York, Perry and Centre counties

SR1

Thats the biggest line I have ever heard. Number one thing is you would never shoot steel through a turkey choke how stupid do these companies think we are.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

archery1

Take a kid hunting

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quoteshooting steel through my SBE would open up the center core density of my pattern

If one compared a barrel with a newly polished and deep cleaned bore, to the same barrrel after 100 rounds of cheap Steel BB's, I could believe it in that scenario.

shootumindaface

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 23, 2011, 12:46:20 PM
Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 23, 2011, 12:27:40 PM
Quoteshooting steel through my SBE would open up the center core density of my pattern

If one compared a barrel with a newly polished and deep cleaned bore, to the same barrrel after 100 rounds of cheap Steel BB's, I could believe it in that scenario.

100 round of steel down a polished bore, shouldn't be any different than 100 rounds of Hevi down a polished bore. The only thing you should get out of it is wad material, and that can be cleaned. Obviously both will be a little less polished, but not a significant amount.
Exactly my Super x2 bore has probably 4-5k rounds of steel through it.. When ya clean it it shines beautifully..

SKFOOTER

I didn't buy it either.  And I certainly don't shoot steel thru my turkey chokes. 

Wolfdog

The more people I meet the better I like Turkeys

mudhen

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 23, 2011, 10:47:33 AM
She told me that after talking to a technician, he told her that shooting steel through my SBE would open up the center core density of my pattern, thus reducing my pellet count in the 10" circle at 40 yards shooting the #H51013A Straight 7's.  I'm having this problem at the patterning board.  Does this sound logical??

There is something about this floating around, but not sure it's what is being discussed here.

What SBE is being discussed?

What choke was used with the steel?

The issue as explained to me by Jeff Hajar at Terror chokes is that due to the nature of how Benelli installs the factory chokes, chokes can expand into the grooves when some steel shot is used.  This can bulge the choke and the barrel.

It would be logical to presume that there could be problems with chokes after a choke and/or barrel has been bulged.

Two of my SBE's do have rather loose choke fit, and both did get quite a bit of steel shot use in their primes...

Maybe ask her for more clarification?

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The Mobil choke threads are at the front of the choke, rather than at the rear.
Maybe that plays a role???

snapper1982

felloas i know it sounds stupid and i would have been on the BS train if it hadnt happened to me. my 870 was awesome. i decided to shoot some ducks so i bought some steel and a new choke and put around 150 rounds through it that season. next turkey season put my turkey choke in and checked the pattern and it was nowhere near what it was before. i lost on average 30 hits. i was confused and had to figure it out. took awhile but i bought a new barrel and started getting good patterns again. we got to remember just because one gun dosent do something does not mean the same type gun wont. each one is an indivdual.

redleg06

Quote from: snapper1982 on March 23, 2011, 09:08:44 PM
felloas i know it sounds stupid and i would have been on the BS train if it hadnt happened to me. my 870 was awesome. i decided to shoot some ducks so i bought some steel and a new choke and put around 150 rounds through it that season. next turkey season put my turkey choke in and checked the pattern and it was nowhere near what it was before. i lost on average 30 hits. i was confused and had to figure it out. took awhile but i bought a new barrel and started getting good patterns again. we got to remember just because one gun dosent do something does not mean the same type gun wont. each one is an indivdual.

Letha at Nitro....is that you???
:bike2:

sorry, I couldnt resist.

S.C.C

Its wise to have and keep a dedicated Turkey only gun and plenty of ammo that patterns well with it!! :icon_thumright:

stick bow

I wonder if this could also apply to copperplated 00 buckshot and a full choke tube. I have an 870 that I could not get to pattern for turkeys. I had asked for help in another topic that I started. That gun has plenty of buckshot put threw it.
I bought a 870 supermag that I get excellent patterns with. This will be turkey gun only.

Wolfdog

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 23, 2011, 10:47:33 AM
She told me that after talking to a technician, he told her that shooting steel through my SBE would open up the center core density of my pattern, thus reducing my pellet count in the 10" circle at 40 yards shooting the #H51013A Straight 7's.  I'm having this problem at the patterning board.  Does this sound logical??

The only way this could happen is if shooting steel physically changed the size of your choke or barrel or both! It sounds like she's saying shooting steel shot is either eroding the choke and bore of our guns or swelling them.
The more people I meet the better I like Turkeys