OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many...

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 11, 2015, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

trumpets do you carry while hunting?  I have two and plan on having one around my neck and one in my vest pocket.  Man the more I play them, the better I think I sound.  The last few days, I have been able to play outside and to me they sound killer.  I just need to learn how to tone it down and soft call (yelp and cluck) better.

merocustomcalls

M Sharpe

Usually just one, along with a wingbone. Relax your lips, make a smaller sound chamber and THINK softer while drawing that air all the way to the back of your throat!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

worth612000

mspaci

mgm1955

Still learning to use what I think are some of the best calls there are. Will be carrying one of Mark's wingbones and the trumpet I feel I'm playing the best.

blackfalcon

Relax your lips and only draw as much air as you need to get a decent cluck. The more relaxed your lips are the more rasp you will get also. I recommend you record your calling on a cell phone or whatever you have to help you "hear" what the call sounds like and remember exactly what you were doing to get that sound that sounds the most "turkey".  Turkeys have extremely good hearing and can hear a trumpet from a long ways out there, you don't have to call very loudly at all. I absolutely love a trumpet and carry at least one on every hunt, I also have a backup that always stays in the vest just in case I forget going out the door.
The best call to use is the one you are the most familiar with and have the most confidence in, that comes from being well acquainted and practiced with constantly.

misfire

Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

jbrown

I usually hunt with 1 Billy Buice trumpet, but I carry 4 different mouth tips.

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: mgm1955 on March 12, 2015, 10:28:28 PM
Still learning to use what I think are some of the best calls there are. Will be carrying one of Mark's wingbones and the trumpet I feel I'm playing the best.
Ditto. Strutter.
Anybody seen America lately?

West Augusta

Typically just one.  Either a Brian Mero or Mudpuppi but may throw the Del Crow into rotation this year.
I've got an Eastern and Rio with the Mero.  I hope to add a Merriam to that this year.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

BowBendr

Just one, usually a Mero.

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

paboxcall

Two, a Hegler and a Permar.  The Hegler has a rounded tip and the Permar trumpets have angled tips.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

outdoors

ONE WHEN I LEAVE MY TRUCK
AS FAR AS MY TRUCK GOES , ABOUT 4.   
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

painterjp