OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tested the SBE2 yesterday....

Started by aaronward9, March 23, 2011, 09:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronward9

I shot my SBE2 yesterday with 3 different Hevi-13 loads and here is what I got..

It was 70 degrees, no wind, stepped off 40 yards, and had a decent rest.

I'm shooting a SBE2 with an Indian Creek .665 and a Redhead Ascent red dot scope.

At 40 yards:

3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz, #4 = 96 in the 10"
"            "           #6 = 197 in the 10"
"            "           #5,6,7 = 208 in the 10"

Not stellar#'s, but they will do!  Any recommended changes I could make to improve these #'s?

Here is the pic. of the mag blends...

BigPeck215

that looks like a nice even pattern with the mag blends, they should be good to go

drum817

Quote from: BigPeck215 on March 23, 2011, 10:28:00 AM
that looks like a nice even pattern with the mag blends, they should be good to go

:agreed:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

K-ZONE

Forget the 4's the 6's and magblend are head grinders 7's would be better fill in the holes.3in usually pattern better then 3.5.The real question is how far will u pull the trigger on a bird?

mossy835

Unless you are shooting canaries you have a good pattern and load for turkey.

Hay Flats

Stick with those Mag Blends that pattern is an awsome hunting pattern, and with the Mag. Blend you have a little more insurance if Mountain Lion/Bear or Coyotes pay you a visit. I have gone up and down the shot trail from #5's down to 7's and now I'm moving back up, of all the birds I have shot and seen shot the Hevi-13 #5's seem to hit them the hardest, If your gun patterns them well the hit on a bird is usually impressive!

Kurt

goblr77

Quote from: K-ZONE on March 23, 2011, 11:01:45 AM
Forget the 4's the 6's and magblend are head grinders 7's would be better fill in the holes.3in usually pattern better then 3.5.The real question is how far will u pull the trigger on a bird?

3" loads do not pattern better than 3.5" loads of the same shot in any of my rigs. It may happen in a few setups but to say they usually pattern better is wrong. If you choke the gun right that extra 1/4 oz or so of shot will normally give better patterns.

sugarray

Quote from: mossy835 on March 23, 2011, 11:08:50 AM

Wouldn't change a thing!!

Gold Spur

Quote from: sugarray on March 23, 2011, 12:14:55 PM

X2
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

neal

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

goblr77

Quote from: sugarray on March 23, 2011, 12:14:55 PM

I wouldn't either for hunting. The MB pattern will kill at 50. If he has a pellet counting disease like some of us on here there are a few things he can do to step it up a notch.

aaronward9

no pellet counting disease here!  Just wanting to make sure I am good out to 50 if I need to!

i usually like to have all my patterning done by now, but after finding out I couldn't shoot Hevi shot through a Comp-N-Choke, I had to start over by finding a new choke..

I thought about buying a JH and shooting the Hevi's to see how they patterned through it.

turkeytromp

Quote from: goblr77 on March 23, 2011, 11:55:32 AM
Quote from: K-ZONE on March 23, 2011, 11:01:45 AM

3" loads do not pattern better than 3.5" loads of the same shot in any of my rigs. It may happen in a few setups but to say they usually pattern better is wrong. If you choke the gun right that extra 1/4 oz or so of shot will normally give better patterns.

Totally  :agreed: Here!