News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What Shell Do You Recommend?

Started by Solid Snake, March 23, 2011, 07:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solid Snake

...for my 870 JH .665?

I shot some Win. Supremes 3" #5 shot last year (my first year), that my brother bought me for my bday, but looking to do some more extensive patterning this year. I like the supremes b/c they are abundant and cheap around here. I have read about how good the Hevi 7's are though.

How should I start off patterning? Shoot at a ten inch circle at 30 yards? What's a good number of pellets that should be in the circle?

Thanks for the help - Shaw

VAHUNTER

most patterns are checked at 40yards. if you do the same it will be easier to compare your results with others.
at 40 i would think you will see a pellet count of 180 +. it is very possible to see patterns well over 200
Good things come to those who wait

sugarray

Shoot at big paper.  3 ft x 3 ft to make sure you get your entire pattern.  Shoot first then draw your circle.  Once you know you are hitting where you are aiming then you can trim this down.  Hevi #7 still seems to be the way to go to get the highest pellet counts at 40 yds,  the quickest.

I would say go down to #6 shot too.  Much more pellets than #5s.

hookedspur

Quote from: sugarray on March 23, 2011, 08:26:45 AM
Shoot at big paper.  3 ft x 3 ft to make sure you get your entire pattern.  Shoot first then draw your circle.  Once you know you are hitting where you are aiming then you can trim this down.  Hevi #7 still seems to be the way to go to get the highest pellet counts at 40 yds,  the quickest.

:agreed: Good info.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Solid Snake

Quote from: sugarray on March 23, 2011, 08:26:45 AM

This is very helpful - thank you!

shootumindaface

The 40 yard thing here is a standard as well as the 10 inch circle.. It is used so that we can compare data from gun to gun, choke to choke, shell to shell..

But the big thing is for you to shoot at whatever range you consider your ethical or based upon the terrain you are hunting the max shot that you will take..

archery1

I AGREE.. HEVI 7'S DO PATTERN WELL. I SHOT THE 3" AND GOT 179 IN  A 10" CIRCLE AT 40YDS.. THEY SHOOT ALOT BETTER THE THE WINNY'S
Take a kid hunting

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Shaw24 on March 23, 2011, 07:32:35 AM
...for my 870 JH .665?

I shot some Win. Supremes 3" #5 shot last year (my first year), that my brother bought me for my bday, but looking to do some more extensive patterning this year. I like the supremes b/c they are abundant and cheap around here. I have read about how good the Hevi 7's are though.

How should I start off patterning? Shoot at a ten inch circle at 30 yards? What's a good number of pellets that should be in the circle?

Thanks for the help - Shaw

Hey Shaw,

You've already had great advice about how to pattern your gun and finding out at what range you and your gun shoot best for a good clean shot.

The Winchester Supreme shells are excellent lead loads.  The Hevi-13 shells, #6 or #7 shot will give you some tighter patterns and more pellets on target.

Having confidence in your ability to shoot your gun well and knowing how it performs are the real keys.

All my best this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mossy835

What Clark is saying makes sense to me if price is the thing use lead and work up a load for your comfort zone. If the price is not an issue then work up some patterns for the HM.
Goood luck

Solid Snake

This helps me out so much!! I have some scrap 2X4's in the garage I will build a target holder out of and I'm ready to pattern! Appreciate the advice guys.