turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Getting confused

Started by sparelink, March 23, 2011, 02:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparelink

I see all these different thread on different choke in different constructions. So what choke has a smaller exit hole? What choke with pattern tighter theoretically?

ILIKEHEVI-13

.660 out of those choices will be the smaller exit diameter.  Think of it like this; the smaller number will have the smallest exit diameter(some call it constriction), and the larger the number the bigger the exit diameter.

So .670 would be the larger exit diameter out of the three you mentioned above.    

ILIKEHEVI-13

Those numbers are just thousandths of an inch.  So to think in thousandths .001 would be 1/1000th of an inch.  .250 would be 1/4" and .500 would be 1/2" and .750 would be 3/4".  I hope that makes it easier to understand. 

mcgruff1533

The smaller the number, the tighter the exit diameter.    The .660" ED choke is tighter than the .665" which is tighter than the .670".

Theoretically, a tighter E.D. choke should throw a tighter pattern, but that's mostly hogwash since each gun/choke/load combo will pattern differently.    Also, it's possible to over-choke certain loads which has a negative effect on your pattern and actually make it less dense.   

Reading these boards will give you a good idea what certain gun/choke/load combo's are capable of, but the only true way to determine the best choke/load is to do your own pattern testing and make an informed decision from the results.

Good luck, and post your pattern pic's for all to see.

sparelink

Thanks guys. I just read on OG and on other websites and sometimes it seems like people are talking about it backwards. Just wanted to clarify.

I have a mossberg .670 choke and just ordered a JH .660 for $35 new.

I also picked up some hevi 13 3/2/7 to do some more patterning.

Just don't think the Winchester 3/1.875/6 at 40yds only gave me 94 will cut it.

Let's hope I can get better than that with the hevi and JH

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well what they label the end of the choke in thousandths as constriction is really exit diameter.