News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester LB XR?

Started by STP22, March 09, 2015, 11:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STP22

Hello, all.

I have been reading up on the Winchester Long Beard XR. Seems like an awesome load as many of you can vouch for. Couple of questions...
I understand the resin turns to a powder when fired...

1. Do you see any excess fouling in the barrel, choke, or action of a semi-auto?
2. Which do you prefer...#5 or #6? And, why?

Thank you and take care.

Steve

BowBendr

No, there doesn't seem to be an excess of fouling from the resin in my guns. No fear of it messing with an auto system.
Actually I prefer the 4's. The patterns they are providing are simply devastating. So many threads on here wondering how far 5 and 6 shot will kill, just shoot the 4's and be done with it....

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

STP22

Thank you, BowBendr!

I will give 4's a try, too.

What is the maximum range for clean kills? 30-40 yards?

Steve

K9Doc

Good rule of thumb for your maximum range
is no less than 100 hits In a 10" circle.
Even with 200 hits in a 10" circle at say 50yards shooting
#6's To me is risky, due to loss of energy by a small
Lead pellet.
The 4's are a different story. Plenty of energy,
But perhaps not enough pattern density.

My Point; to Ensure a Clean, Ethical Kill Shot
Keep your shots at an estimated
40 yards and you will be fine assuming good
Pattern density.
Good Luck with your patterning.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

STP22

Thanks, K9Doc!

I definitely will keep it under 40 yards.

Steve

darn2ten

If your for sure going to keep your shots to 40 and under, then pick the one that patterns best out of your gun. Any one of those shot sizes will work just fine. The #5's are my favorite and I promise will work further than you need to be shooting at birds.

STP22

Seems like the #5s are a good compromise between #4s down range energy vs #6s pattern density.

drum817

Quote from: STP22 on March 10, 2015, 08:10:38 PM
Seems like the #5s are a good compromise between #4s down range energy vs #6s pattern density.
. Actually in my experience the 5's have been the more finicky.  Doesn't make sense, but 6's & 4's have been MUCH easier to get great patterns.  I still haven't found the magic key to the 5's yet..... Others may feel different.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Izzyjoe

I had better numbers with the 5's, but 4's gave the best hunting pattern, I have not tried the 6's yet, but plan to this weekend.

wcerin

Used 6's last year dead gobbler 40 yards. No problem. Don't be scared of the 6's they knocked him off his feet at 40. Patterning I had 278 in a 10 " circle at 40 yards with my Mossy 835 and a Star Dot choke.
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

ThunderChickenGetter

With the way the LB #6's patterned in my 835 and IC Choke, I wouldn't hesitate to make a clean shot at 40 yards on a bird. 270 on a 10" circle will knock one off its feet at that distance.

STP22

Quote from: Izzyjoe on March 10, 2015, 09:25:09 PM
I had better numbers with the 5's, but 4's gave the best hunting pattern, I have not tried the 6's yet, but plan to this weekend.

Hello, Izzyjoe..what do you mean by "hunting pattern."

Thanks!

Steve

Tracker760

I'm not Izzy but to me a "hunting pattern" is one that will still kill with a near miss. Or in this case a complete miss. 11 in bone should worry one a bit.

Tracker760

Personally I'll take the numbers in 10 any day. This year I'll be using the Carlson .660" and the LB#4 after shooting all 3 in 3 different chokes. In fact I'm sitting in the store parking lot waiting on them to open so I can grab 2 more boxes of the same lot. With a one bird limit here in MN, I'll be set for years.
Try the 4's

STP22

Thank you, Tracker760!
Steve