OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Met an Old Timer in the Woods today, Surprising Conversation

Started by zelmo1, March 08, 2015, 03:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

ridgerunner

You can learn a lot from guys like that..I know a few ole guys like that in Missouri..During turkey season after the hunts 10-2pm, they'd all gather at a little bait store/gas station sit around drink coffee and tell stories about turkey hunting or whatever..I could of sat there all day listening, those old guys were a wealth of turkey knowledge and had many years of experience. Learned  a whole bunch just listening.

rempumpman

Sounds like a great experience in meeting this Gentleman; what is so sad that the younger generation misses out on some of the best advice both in Hunting and general Life itself when they don't take the time to listen; nothing better than to meet these kind of men and just listen to their stories.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

silvestris

Quote from: Gut Pile on March 09, 2015, 06:09:59 PM
IMO, that may be the greatest generation of men and women that this this country has ever seen

No, the greatest generation were the founding fathers.  If only we had followed the contract they prepared for us, perhaps we wouldn't be in the mess we now find ourselves.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

RutnNStrutn

Never underestimate the old dudes.  :lol:
I remember when grunt tubes for deer first started making a scene on the market. I bought one and took it with me on my next hunt. I stealthily slipped through the woods, stopping periodically to blow on my new grunt call. Every time I did, I imagined that a buck was about to step out.
Finally, I slipped into an area, took cover behind a tree, and let out a few grunts from my new call. To my surprise, an old man was sitting 3 feet away from me, with only his head sticking up out of the bushes. He looked at me, and said, "You through scaring everything out of the woods yet?". Shocked, I turned towards the voice, and only then was it that I saw his head sticking up out of the brush. :o
I was completely mortified. I turned 20 shades of red in embarrassment! Sheepishly, I tucked the grunt call in my pocket, and beat a hasty retreat. :lol:
It's funny now, but not so much back then!! ;D :TooFunny:
Yep, don't ever underestimate those old dudes!

Muzzy61

Quote from: Gut Pile on March 09, 2015, 06:09:59 PM
IMO, that may be the greatest generation of men and women that this this country has ever seen
.     I agree. I can only imagine what they think when they look at the mess we have now.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr