OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

guns with scopes/red dots sights

Started by captpete, March 08, 2015, 12:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captpete

I set up my 1187 20ga. with a red dot sight for the wife to use. The first year I had a saddle mount on it and didn't like it. Last year I had it drilled and tapped. I like it so much my wife & I both hunted with it last year. My issue is that now to be able to see through the sight we both have to lift our heads up off the stock. I bought a comb raising kit and not completely impressed with it. I need raise it almost 1 1/2" so I can put my cheek on the stock like I normally would. When I add that much it is a big bulge and looks pretty crappy. I compromised by added about 3/4" and just rest the side of my chin on the stock(still not really statisfied).

So with that all said, what do you guys that use scopes/red dots use or how do you get lined up to see through them??

Here is the kit I bought: http://www.basspro.com/Beartooth-Comb-Raising-Kits/product/22034/

Crappiepro

Well I wish I knew you needed one. I have one in Mossy Oak BU.
It was give to me by a member here and I dont use it anymore.
I would have let you have it LOL!

ridgerunner

I'll never put another scope on a turkey gun as long as I live..not needed and only impedes my view. I had a red dot for one turkey season..costs me two birds when I had to switch to shoot left handed to take birds, took it off and never looked back..some guys love em...myself i feel they're not needed on turkey guns and counter productive IMO.

captpete

Thanks for the info. I don't really have a problem with it being that high, the problem I have is with the way it looks. Here are some pics of it on my 12 ga. As you can see the cover doesn't lay flat against the sthe stock. The more spacers I put in, the worse is it. I can see sticks, dirts, leaves and what ever getting between the stock and the cover. 

captpete

silvestris

They are "heads up" sights.  Dot on the target, Boom.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Roost 1

ATI Tactical Talon stock with adjustable cheek piece..

tomstopper

Quote from: silvestris on March 08, 2015, 06:54:37 PM
They are "heads up" sights.  Dot on the target, Boom.
This is true. My eye sight has gotten worse over the years so last year, I put red dots on two of my guns and love them. It takes some time to get used to, but you don't need your cheek on the stock. Once you get it set,  wherever the dot is, is your your going to hit wether your face is on the stock or not.

agturkey

Find a good body man and have him bondo up the stock good and strong, look at accu riser cheek pads, or get a custom comb build for it.

bammerslammer 50

I actually like that better than having to lay my face on the stock. I use a red dot so I dont have to fight with eye relief, but its more comfortable to me and seems like it gives me some flexibility if I get caught in an awkward position or something.

TauntoHawk

the sureshot stock and fastfire line up perfectly on my 870, I'll never take a gun without a red dot turkey hunting and i've shot em left handed no problem.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

beagler

I have the Benelli high comb gel riser on my SBE 2. On my 835 I cut some foam pipe insulation in half, duck taped it to my riser then slid a neopreme sleeve over it.
Never Misses

captpete

Thanks for the replies everybody. My main reason for raising the comb was for the wife. She doesn't have a lot of trigger time so I wanted her to have a consistant anchor point to keep her head in the same position each time. I ended up putting about 1" of rise on the comb of the stock for her. I then did a little sewing to get rid of the gaps between the stock and the neoprene sleeve. It's not the prettiest, but to me it looks much better this way. Here are few pics of the finished product.