Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do you consider too tight a pattern?

Started by Row Jimmy, March 07, 2015, 08:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Row Jimmy

I know most people pattern at 40 yards looking for a dense, even pattern.  But what about when birds are in tight like 20 yds or under?  Do you find a good pattern at 40 is too tight at 15?   I just finished patterning some Hvywt #7 loads.  At 40 things look good.  At 20 it is tight, 250/260 pellets in a 10" circle.  Not a lot of room for error. 

Do you try and find a choke that is a good compromise, or just pattern at 40 at take whatever distance shot presents itself?  How do you long time turkey hunters decide on a choke/pattern?

msgobblergetter

I've always used the 8 inch rule at 20 yards... if my pattern covers at least 8" of the 10" circle in any direction, I'm usually happy as long as I get a good 40 yard outcome.

BandedSpur

That's why I shoot an O/U, nice tight pattern with TSS @ 40 and nice wide pattern with lead 7s @ 20. But seriously, I think a lot depends on whether you are running an optic. I will accept a much tighter pattern with an optic vs beads.

surehuntsalot

I look for an overall evenly spread in the 20" area, what I call a good hunting pattern
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Ihuntoldschool

This is a lot of personal preference, experience, and what you are comfortable with. I can tell you, not all turkeys will stop at 40 yards and stand still for you to shoot them. Some of them approach quite close, running or trotting until they are right in your lap. Also, they frequently come in silent or from unexpected directions. Their heads and necks move quite fast and without warning as well.

One thing to consider 100 pellets in 10 inch circle at 40 is dead, provided you point the shotgun on the birds head/neck area.  200 pellets will not kill him any deader, but it can and will handicap you on a close shot somewhat.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 08, 2015, 04:22:52 PM
This is a lot of personal preference, experience, and what you are comfortable with. I can tell you, not all turkeys will stop at 40 yards and stand still for you to shoot them. Some of them approach quite close, running or trotting until they are right in your lap. Also, they frequently come in silent or from unexpected directions. Their heads and necks move quite fast and without warning as well.

One thing to consider 100 pellets in 10 inch circle at 40 is dead, provided you point the shotgun on the birds head/neck area.  200 pellets will not kill him any deader, but it can and will handicap you on a close shot somewhat.

:z-winnersmiley:
this is the way I lean when I talk about a good even hunting pattern, good coverage in the 20" circle
I have choke, shell combo's that give me 95-100 hits in the 10, a lot of guys wouldn't hunt with them, I do and kill turkeys with them. It only takes 3-4 pellets to kill a bird not 30-40 pellets
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Row Jimmy

Thanks for the insights.  Leaning towards a more open constriction, .580.  It still gives me an average of 125 in 10" at 40 and better inside that.

Dr Juice

The tighter the better especially if you use a scope.  :turkey2: