turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

12 gauge vs. 10 gauge

Started by DirtNap647, March 07, 2015, 07:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

those of you that have tried patterning both what is the benefit of one over the other....the ten shell is bigger around and more shot wouldn't hit harder and be more powerful ive got the itch for a new gun and im really likin that browning gold 10 nwtf or a 12 maxus...

blueridgegobbler

if you handload you can get the full potential out of the 10 gauge its a beast above any other, but the factory loads are far below what can be achieved I would probably go with the 12 

taylorjones20

I really the like browning gold light 10.  Been thinking about getting one but I'm gonna hold out until I can save enough to get a SBE2.  Anyways, Nitro Co would probably be a good place to get some 10ga shells or Hevi Shot.  I haven't patterned one but I have seen some pretty impressive numbers from them...  If you've got the itch, scratch it! :)
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Mike Honcho

I like the 10 and have a BPS  camo  24".  If it was going to be my only or main turkey gun I would probably go with the 12  Maxus...it's simply the weight.  I have several other other turkey guns and enjoy taking the 10 out once in a while but usually it goes with me when I know I will have a shorter hike to my spot.

It has never failed to cleanly kill any Tom I've pulled the trigger on,that's for sure.

Old Gobbler

I shoot a 10 , and have done so for 20 years , and I would recommend to any interested to use a 3.5 inch chambered 12 , it's more versatile , there is tons of aftermarket chokes and the best selection of ammo is for 12 gauge , also the 10 tends to be heavy - but a properly set up 10 gauge can bring down a gobbler with assuring ease 

All focus in waterfowl and turkey guns seems to be fixated on the versatile 12  , and most ammo makers have forgotten about 10 gauges , or do little or no product development into that area of 10 gauges --The 10 has inherently superior shooting ability , but it's just too much hassle for someone who isn't a fanatic or has a 10 allready , I love my 10 and wouldn't shoot anything else , but it's not everyone's cup of tea

If you shoot nitros with the matching choke , or federals #7 with the kicks the 10 gauge shoots awesome , in my opinion if you don't like those combos you might be best suited with something  else
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

BandedSpur

No way I'm carrying a boat anchor up and down the hills where I hunt.

Ihuntoldschool

10 gauge for turkey, no thanks.  If you sit around in a blind for extended periods it might be okay, not my style. If you do much walking, I would forget about a 10. If you are chasing numbers you might put a few more pellets in that circle with a 10. How dead is dead? I would gladly sacrifice a few pellets in that magical circle for 2-3 pounds less carrying weight. Not to mention the bulk and poor/slow handling characteristics common to the 10. 12 gauge is heavy enough if you do much walking.

I think the Maxus 12 with its light weight would be a far better choice than a 10 gauge for turkeys.

DirtNap647

just lookin for some helpful input....I understand pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 but shoot your gun at 50 then 60 to see the difference it separates the good from the bad I don't think any of my shotguns wont kill at 40 but there has to be more knock down power as you go farther out

Rockhound

I have a 10 gauge browning nwtf, if you wanna hanload  or shoot hevi magblend and federal heavyweight , or nitro the 10 is far superior than a 12.

But with ammo the way it is the 10 gauge ammo could bite the dust anyday.

I also have a sbe2, and a couple more 12s but the 10 will never take the backburner completely.

Ihuntoldschool

Sorry, I thought you meant for reasonable range on turkeys. I never considered that you were talking about 60 yard shots in my post. 

7shooter

I carried them for years, both factory and Bansner built.  Awsome shooting guns but they are heavy.  With the ammo available today they just don't have the huge advantage over the 12 they once had imo.

the Ward

I love my 10, but I agree with the other posters. Imo,  unless you step up to a premium htl load, or plan on reloading, their isn't really a clear-cut advantage over a 3.5 12 gauge. I bought mine originally for waterfowl, but got the itch to turkey hunt with it and have really enjoyed getting it setup and dialed in. They are on the heavy side, but you get used to it after awhile. They are not for everyone, but I like hunting with one just like I enjoy taking the flintlock out during deer season, just pure nostalgia thing for me!

snapper1982

Quote from: Dirt nap on March 08, 2015, 10:18:22 AM
just lookin for some helpful input....I understand pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 but shoot your gun at 50 then 60 to see the difference it separates the good from the bad I don't think any of my shotguns wont kill at 40 but there has to be more knock down power as you go farther out

Completely wrong. Fire a load of lead 6 at 1200fps from a 410 and  load of lead 6 at 1200 from a 10 and each pellet has the same energy. As long as size, weight and velocity are the same the projectile will have the same energy and it does not matter what it was fired from.