OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 choke options!

Started by Easton1986, March 05, 2015, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easton1986

Not wanting to spend countless amounts of money on numerous amounts of chokes just to try to shoot an see what I like. Going to be shooting winchester longbeards 3.5 number 5 or 6's. Cause they have always worked good in my other guns. I just got a new 835 with pistol grip and 20in barrel. Any help would be appreciated.

Thought about trying the new Carlson choke for longbeard shells they just came out with. But leaning toward Sumtoy cause I heard they are fantastic.

Thanks again fellas. I wanna get it right cause not only will I be hunting the whole season in SC but will also be traveling to Gettysburg Pa to hunt there season also in May and wanna have a good setup!

jordanz7935

Indian Creek,Pure Gold,Sumtoy,Kicks,Comp-n-Choke,Carlsons,Trulock all make good chokes for the 835 in  the .670-.680 constriction range that seems to work best in 835/935s. Buy anyone of these chokes and you'll be all set with the longbeard loads. Truth is you would probably have a good hunting pattern with longbeard shells out of the stock ulti-full turkey choke. If your shooting open sights id look for a nice even hunting pattern rather than huge #'s in the 10" circle. Im currently shooting the kicks .680 in my 935 getting mid 170's in the 10" @ 40yds with 3.5" LB #5s. And its a nice even pattern that i like having since i switched back to open sights.Although i do have a new stardot choke im ready to pattern with some longbeards and hevi once this 2ft of snow melts.

Matt81302

I wouldn't go down to a .670 with the longbeards. That's what my SSX is and mine is too tight, I'm actually changing my setup this season. It shoots a heck of a 40 pattern, but at 20 yards it the size of a softball. I have a buddy that has several different chokes I plan to shoot this weekend, if your interested I'll let you know what I come up with.

Easton1986

Thanks Matt. I just don't want to put a lot of money into different chokes.

jordanz7935

You shouldnt have to spend much $.Should be a 1 time purchase if you get one of the chokes i mentioned.If anything like matt said only problem you may have is a choke you get shoots too tight of a pattern with longbeards. My Indian Creek .675 i had was also too tight for my liking with the longbeards. But all i had to do in that situation was switch shells to the 3.5" Win HV #5s or 3.5" turkey thug #5s and i got a more open forgiving130-140 type patterns. Thats a nice thing about 835s and that overbore bbl is they always seem throw good patterns with the more traditional lead loads. 

Easton1986

Yea Jordan that's why I picked it. Read nothing but good and a few bad like wouldn't eject shells sometime which was only from old guns that been shot alot an the safety also being on and still discharging. I might try the long beard choke from Carlson's. I believe its a .675.

jordanz7935

Ive checked it out and i think the longbeard choke is a .683 actually. It would probably be a good choke. I know they've had a .675 for the 935 but its not all that popular with the 835 guys for whatever reason. Ive never tried either but i wouldnt hesitate Carlsons makes great chokes.

Easton1986

What would be your first choice overall?

jordanz7935

Hard to answer really. I know for me and my gun I'm 100% happy with the kicks .680 shooting longbeards. My setup patterns poorly with the magblends though.The kicks does pattern most traditional lead turkey loads very well too. Now you have a 20" bbl 835 so that short barrel might require more of constriction like a .670-.675 but you never know.Maybe someone with a short barreled 835 will chime in.Forgot to throw  the hevi13 turkey choke in there as well. made by carlsons and is a ported.676. Good choke with a good reputation as well.Its a hard decision as i know, theres too many good options for these guns!Good luck and let us know how you make out.

SCDieselDawg

I run a Indian Creek and a SSX in my 2 Mossys. Both were setup last year with LongBeards.  Both put up super tight patterns. I'm actually thinking of going back to plain lead either Winchester HVs or Federal Turkey Thugs.

Easton1986

Easton1986

I was looking at Indian creek also. Either that or the new Carlson's longbeard choke because I'm sold on the longbeard shells

SCDieselDawg

Word was Winchester used Indian Creek chokes to develop the LongBeards.  And they shoot well in them. I found the SSX shot a little tighter but not by much. 

allaboutshooting

The better patterning chokes with the 835s that I've found are the Hevi-13 (ported .676 not the non-ported .675) and the SSX. The Mossberg X-Factor turkey choke also throws an even pattern. All patterns from those chokes with 3" WLB shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot were without any 2" gaps in the patterns in my latest evaluation.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gobble!

Indian Creek. Great customer service and a great choke. If your not happy you can send it back.