OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rare box call?

Started by NFW, March 05, 2015, 04:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFW

I don't know how many people have heard of this call which is a "terrapin box call" but my uncle has said forever that it's probably one of the best calls every made. He's been hunting turkeys since the 70's but has only run across one in his lifetime. Which he lives in MS but said only so many were made. But regardless he always says that if he had a turkey hung up he'd whip out that call said they would go crazy and come in. He's got so many beard and hooks in the shed he said directly came from that call, and only very few times that call didn't work, until I think he lost it or he gave it to a dear friend which I forgot about the details, but just was telling me if I ever came across one I should pick it up.

So I was just wondering how many people have heard of this call or even have one?

M Sharpe

Are you sure he wasn't talking about a "TURPIN"???? A true Turpin may be rare, but there are several folks that build this type of call!! One in particular is Richard Hudson.   I know some of those dialects and pronunciations  differ from different parts of the country. One of my uncles used to say "I seed" instead of "I saw".

Mark
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

strutnrut

Did it have a handle on it?

NFW

I'm pretty sure it did have a handle.

And also I may have spelled it wrong but just sounds like it

M Sharpe

Did it look like this??

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

NFW

I couldn't tell ya what it looked like as I never saw it, was gone before I was even born. So couldn't quite tell ya

TauntoHawk

well picture is of turpin box and they have a handle so I think its safe to say that is what he was talking about... pick one up and see if its all its cracked up to be there are some good makers of them out there
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

M Sharpe

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 06, 2015, 08:54:01 AM
well picture is of turpin box and they have a handle so I think its safe to say that is what he was talking about... pick one up and see if its all its cracked up to be there are some good makers of them out there

I'm very much aware of what they look like because the one pictured belongs to me, made by my buddy Richard Hudson. And yes this one, along with the other 7 from him, are all they are cracked up to be! And no, not all Turpins have handles, just henboxes.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: M Sharpe on March 06, 2015, 12:59:55 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 06, 2015, 08:54:01 AM

I'm very much aware of what they look like because the one pictured belongs to me, made by my buddy Richard Hudson. And yes this one, along with the other 7 from him, are all they are cracked up to be! And no, not all Turpins have handles, just henboxes.

Yeah I wasn't directing my post at you more of confirming for the OP that more than likely that your picture is the box type that was spoke of too him. And you're correct about the handles and the hen box
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

M Sharpe

Sorry, I took it the wrong way!!! Just a little on edge today from post on another forum!!! Sorry I took it out on you! My apologies TauntoHawk!!

Mark

TauntoHawk

Quote from: M Sharpe on March 06, 2015, 03:26:59 PM
Sorry, I took it the wrong way!!! Just a little on edge today from post on another forum!!! Sorry I took it out on you! My apologies TauntoHawk!!

Mark

Mark no worries, I'm just jealous of your fine looking Hudson hen boxes

strutnrut

NFW, the only way you are going to get a Turpin call is to call Steve Turpin in Memphis, unless you are very luck and have a lot of money. When people talk about a call most of the time they are talking about the style of call ie. Cost, Turpin, Gibson to name a few. The Turpin style call doesn't have a spring and the paddle has more roll to it than a Cost style call. Some say they are harder to run. As with any call you have to learn how to run that style of call. In the right hands {someone who learns the call} they are pure death to a turkey. Myself I don't run a Cost style call very well because i like the Turpin style better and that is what I use all of the time. TauntoHawk is correct I build a Hudson Hen Box style call. I have built some Turpin style boxes with out the Handle but they are still just a Hudson Call. They run different than most calls and some say they sound like a turkey and that my friend is what it is all about. Calling Turkeys