OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835 trouble need help

Started by DirtNap647, March 05, 2015, 03:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

I have an 835 that if you shoot a round and go to pump the forearm back it is like it is locked up pry kinda hard then it opens anyone know why its doing this if its unloaded its fine pump out unfired rounds its fine....I'm lost and it makes it hard to get that second shot

dirt road ninja

Does the shell stick in the chamber?

Izzyjoe

If you haven't already, I'd clean the barrel and chamber. Is this an old, or new shotgun? I had the same problem years ago with a High Standard flite king, it would lock up after fired, and I had to pound the buttstock down on the ground to get it open! I took it to a gunsmith, and he said the gun had been shot to death, the head spacing was out of spec, and would be costly to fix. But Mossberg's are built tougher, so that's probably not the problem.

Mike Honcho

Welcome to the dark side of 835 ownership.  This problem shows up in a few 835's.  I experienced it with a 4-5 year old 835 ,24" turkey model. I polished chamber as you would the barrel, maybe a very slight improvement but still did it.
Mine  only did it with 3.5" shells.  If you look at base of brass next to rim they are swelling. Winchester ammo was what I had most trouble with and mag blends. A new barrel might solve problem....I got tired of fighting mine and retired it.

SumToy

Quote from: Mike Honcho on March 05, 2015, 04:49:37 PM
Welcome to the dark side of 835 ownership.  This problem shows up in a few 835's.  I experienced it with a 4-5 year old 835 ,24" turkey model. I polished chamber as you would the barrel, maybe a very slight improvement but still did it.
Mine  only did it with 3.5" shells.  If you look at base of brass next to rim they are swelling. Winchester ammo was what I had most trouble with and mag blends. A new barrel might solve problem....I got tired of fighting mine and retired it.

^^^^^^^ :z-winnersmiley:^^^^^^^
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

jordanz7935

This is the obvious answer but if its still under warranty id call mossberg. If it is, they'll send you a shipping label and you send it to them including a detailed note of what your gun is doing. Mossberg has good customer service from my experience. Might take them some time but if you emphasize that you need your gun for turkey season they might speed up the repair process for you. My  :z-twocents:

Tennessee Lead

Mine has done this on occasion

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

BowBendr

Mine did it 1 or 2 times when it was new.
After shooting a box of shells or so thru it, it stopped and has never done it again in 15 years.

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

DirtNap647

Shell doesn't stick in chamber and will come out with some force but it is getting old fast

jordanz7935

If not warrantied you could borrow a barrel off a friend and see if your gun has the same problem with the different barrel. That way you can rule out whether its an issue with your receiver or your barrel and probably save yourself $ by doing that in case you have to go to a gunsmith.Ive seen a few used 835 barrels for around $100 online.

surehuntsalot

what type and brand of ammo is it doing this with????
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

DirtNap647

does it with all  3 1/2" shells

DirtNap647

could this be any well possible that when you... take the barrel off to clean gun and reinstall is there any way that the barrel might not be seated all the way back and causing these guns to do this is there a proper way to reinstall

wvmntnhick

I can't tell you for sure what your problem is. All I can tell you is what was going on with mine. It was similar to what you describe but my shell was also sticking in the chamber. I'd bought the gun used. Whoever had it must have shot a pile of 2-3/4",3" shells. It had a crud ring at the head of the chamber that, when firing 3-1/2" shells, would allow the open petals to grip the crud ring. This made the spent shell hard to remove and often times it would require using a lot of force to get it out. Just a thought if you've not given it a real thorough cleaning. I no longer have the gun but it's since happened to a buddy of mine as he uses his for everything. Cleaned the ring on his and it was good to go as well.

DirtNap647

ok...im gonna give it a good cleaning and polishing back there today and see if it still does it if I put 3 rounds in don't fire them and then pump them out it works fine has to be a head space issue or dirty but I keep it clean I don't think that's it