OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Non mainstream items you use

Started by Gooserbat, March 05, 2015, 11:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

So tell us what you use through out turkey season that's not standard prescription for a turkey hunter.  Be it shells, choke, calls, footwear, hat, clothing, gun or whatever.

I personally use the following
Ballistic Specialties choke.
I cary call chalk in a 35 mm film canaster.
Extra socks, fresh socks in late morning makes the feet feel do good.
Anti monkey butt powder.
I pretty much only use calls that are from small outfits like my own.
I carry a fish scale because if that bird don't weight 24# I leave it lay and go kill another one.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Mike Honcho

Ballistic Specialties chokes (2) one for Stoeger 3500 , one for 935 Mossy.
Clip Shot to hold my camera for selfies
Zip ties to tie on tags, or do anything else I need with them
Extra batteries for camera
Extra decoy stake if I'm using a decoy in case it's windy to keep deke from turning

Rapscallion Vermilion

A small Sony digital recorder
A small tool to pop out the pins in case my 11-87 jams
prepackaged wipes instead of tp (another anti MB option)
Homemade wingbone
Small walkie-talkie with ear buds (my buddy and I check in at predetermined times)

alloutdoors

Photo Fan fan spreader to help with pictures. In the past I've had my DSLR, lenses, and a tripod back at the vehicle, but this year I've downsized to a relatively compact but very high quality mirrorless camera that I plan to carry in my vest along with a mini GorrillaPod that will support the camera and can wrap around trees, branches, etc. Also make sure I always have a few zip-ties for attaching tags, and when I'm in Florida in a couple weeks I'll carry a "taxidermy kit" in case I kill a nice Osceola (paper towels, plastic bags, etc. for keeping it clean).

Candyman

Plastic bag the newspaper comes in to slip over the gobblers head/neck to keep blood off my pants- sat in the car seat on more than one occasion with blood on my pants.

A small lighter to remove the moisture from a slate call surface- gets humid in Mississippi.

Plenty of extra latex and rubber bands for the snuff can.

wvmntnhick

Nothing really special but I doubt it's very mainstream. I use a plastic case that electrical tape comes in the keep my mouth calls in. Generally put a small splash of mouthwash in there to kill any bacteria that may linger from an illness I (may) have/had at that moment or earlier in the season. That's about it out of the norm.

Skeeterbait

Only thing I can think of is I have a couple of neoprene fly reel covers sewed inside my vest to quietly carry a couple more pot calls.

wvlimbhanger

My call selection is transitioning to calls made by individuals and not assembly lines.

I carry a camo duffle bag that when I kill a bird I slide him in it, zip him up, and carry him over.my shoulder with the strap.

jordanz7935

Well i usually carry my cannon hd video cam setup by campbell cameras along with my camo taped tripod.I also like to carry a couple 2&3/4 #4s in case a woodchuck gets too close on an uneventful hunt. Also i normally pack snacks,a drink,camo sunglasses, and TP.

albrubacker

Less mainstream stuff the better!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Blong

To go packs of baby wipes, clean as a spring rain!

cjordan

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 05, 2015, 11:03:59 AM
So tell us what you use through out turkey season that's not standard prescription for a turkey hunter.  Be it shells, choke, calls, footwear, hat, clothing, gun or whatever.

Anti monkey butt powder.
I carry a fish scale because if that bird don't weight 24# I leave it lay and go kill another one.
Sooo, do you come back and get it after the hunt, or just chaulk it up as not big enough and it goes to waste?

Gooserbat

Quote from: cjordan on March 05, 2015, 04:11:01 PM

Anti monkey butt powder.
Sooo, do you come back and get it after the hunt, or just chaulk it up as not big enough and it goes to waste?

I was wandering how long it would take someone to catch that... :TooFunny:
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

cjordan

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 05, 2015, 04:22:23 PM
Quote from: cjordan on March 05, 2015, 04:11:01 PM

Anti monkey butt powder.

I was wandering how long it would take someone to catch that... :TooFunny:
I figured something was up there. I seen that, shook my head, wiped my eyes and said surley not from Gooser. lol
Ok continue on.

Snoodsniper

I can't go to the woods without ChapStick and a roll of Tums. I also use a ballistic specialties choke.(looks like I'm in good company) Oh and pink lace boxers.....they make me feel pretty!