Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decent but inexpensive binnocoular, monocular, or compact spotting scope?

Started by Timmer, March 22, 2011, 05:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Hey guys,

I'm taking a trip to the Black Hills and I'd like to bring something more powerful than my 8x21 Simmons binoculars, but I also don't want to add much weight.  I was thinking a more powerful monocular or spotting scope might do the trick.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might pursue?  

Anyone used either of these?  
http://www.binoculars.com/spotting-scopes/bird-watching-spotting-scopes/yukonscout20x50spottingscope.cfm
http://www.binoculars.com/monoculars/bird-watching-monoculars/10x40bluelineclosefocusmonocular.cfm

Also, if I did go with another set of binoculars, how much difference would a set of 10x25's be over my 8x21's?
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

WyoHunter

You'll do fine with what you have. I hunt that country and use 7x21 Nikons and never felt I needed more power. The Bushell Power View binocs are a good low cost alternative to what you have.   :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

TnTurk

shootumindaface

Quote from: TnTurk on March 22, 2011, 07:46:15 PM
Quote from: ksgobbler on March 22, 2011, 06:55:03 PM
Good and cheap dont go together with optics more than anything.
x2  :agreed:
x4

A good less than expensive spotting scope with plenty of power and seeings turkeys are not low light creatures for scouting is the Burris Compact spotting scope

TauntoHawk

You don't need more magnification you need more clarity.

What's your budget?
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Timmer

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 22, 2011, 09:09:27 PM
What's your budget?
:z-winnersmiley:

Yes, I understand that more money buys better quality.  Unfortunatley the cost of the trip, plus the new handheld GPS my wife bought me as an early father's day present, haven't left me with a ton of spare change.  I would probably be willing to spend up to $150. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

TauntoHawk

heres a link to optics planet sorted by price for 100-150 range, take a look there.  look for fully coated lens, porro bak4 prisms and remember that the higher the magnification the less light its going to let in so finding a happy medium that give a close up look while still being bright and clear.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/binoculars-by-price-6.html

anything made by vortex is usually a well made pair of binos but if your tight than save your money by all means and make do with what you have.. and maybe get a pair next time when money isnt so type
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>