turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

MS Happening

Started by TRKYHTR, March 22, 2011, 05:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Got home late last night from my MS turkey hunt. Had a great time. Met Ricky Burks (VAturkey) and his friend Ronnie, Jodi Love(rebellyell), and my buddies Robin Risher (Preacher) and of coarse Tom McLemore (Catdaddy). We had some fine south MS fried catfish at Pappas fish house. Catdaddy and I then went to camp to hunt with Clint Barnes. We heard turkeys everyday but it was a concensus that the turkeys were not ready yet. I didn't see one dogwood bloom. The last day a turkey gobbled real hard but was on some private property so I waved goodbye and we headed to Preachers church to hear Robin's sermon and I was going to sing a special song. We had a great time and Tracy, Robins better half, made us some lasagna for lunch. Catdaddy and I was on the road again and headed to Memphis. We were going to hunt near Catdaddys house until 11:00 am and then head back so we could get to the ariport for my flight home. Catdaddy went one way and I went another. I never heard a gobble until right at flydown and it was in the direction of Tom. I texted him if he was on the turkey that gobbled and he told me to come on that he was on some turkeys. Long story short they quit gobbling so we went prospecting for turkeys. After several series in a foodplot we headed to find something else. Tom called before we went over a little hill and nothing. When we topped the hill about 30 turkeys flushed and went in every direction. There was still some turkeys on the ground and others flew towards a green field. Tom and I set up on each side of the green field and started kee keeing at each other. We figured if they were still going to be all bunched up like a fall flock and we already flushed them we might as well try to call them back up like a fall hunt. After about 3 series of kee kees I took out one of my raspy calls and did a little assymbly call. The next thing I hear is some turkeys running in the leaves. I could see it was turkeys and I eased my gun up. When the first turkey went thru an opening I could see it was a longbeard. I got my gun all the way up about the time all 3 turkeys hit the brakes. The first gobbler was directly behind a litte trash and I couldn't see his head very good. I eased slightly to the left and he looked back a little which cleared his head from the leaves. The gun roared and the turkey hit the dirt at 15 yards. The hootin and hollering commenced a short time afterward. Tom is a great guy and great turkey hunter. He can even tell a story or 2 that will keep you on your seat, if you hadn't noticed. When you can have a great time with great friends and laugh until you hurt, It's a good time and I sure had a good time down in Mississippi.
BTW the quest for 100 is still possible. I am at 95 and have 5 more tags this season.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

shootumindaface

Glad to hear you guys had a great time and a longbeard on top is icing on the cake :z-guntootsmiley:

vicksburg

Congrats on the MS longbeard.  Sounds like a good time was had by all.
]

sugarray

That sure sounded like fun.  Glad you got one.  No more time to fool around though.  Would be nice to see ya get to 100 this year.
:anim_65:

Hognutz

Way to go you guys. Taking the tom at the last hour has got to be exciting. Glad to hear that you all had a great time. Congrats, Joe on a very nice, and special Ms bird..The pictures are excellent, as well...Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Flydown

Good times right there Joe! Congrats buddy! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Cove

Congrats on the fine bird! And best of luck on reaching 100!!

catdaddy

I'll post up some pics myself when I get a minute. I have one pic in particular you guys will get a good hoot out of.   Joe and I  had us a blast--he is a fine fellow and a outstanding turkey hunter to boot.   

FireDoc

Looks like a blast, and congrats on the bird!  :icon_thumright:
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

Lumpy

Congrats on your hunt bro, looks like it was an awesome trip!!
God Bless
It's not a religon, it's a relationship, JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!!!

Hook's Custom Calls Prostaffer
www.hookscalls.com

Rio Fan

Congratulations!   :icon_thumright:

timbrhuntr

That sounded like a great time. And congrats on the bird too!  :icon_thumright:

Jay

pittboss

Congrats Joe........... Sounds like you all had a great time  :icon_thumright:

pittboss
Gobble Gobble Boom !!!!!

njdevilsb