OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Hat

Started by clfergus, March 04, 2015, 10:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clfergus

First year turkey hunting and I was thinking about trying one of those camo ball caps that have the camo netting attached that drapes down. Would this be enough facial cover? My dad uses a spandex mask but I find it not so comfy with my beard.

SKFOOTER

It will but a half mask like the Ol' Tom will hang around your neck until you're ready to use it and you can just pull it up versus having to take your cap off to pull the net down.

RiverRoost

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 04, 2015, 10:19:06 AM
It will but a half mask like the Ol' Tom will hang around your neck until you're ready to use it and you can just pull it up versus having to take your cap off to pull the net down.

Just bought one bc I get tied of having to do exactly this w my hat every time I have to get up and move quick.

northms

I just have some cheap half mask like has been mentioned above.  Pull them up over ball cap in the back and adjust in the front quickly whenever I need it.

Simple.

clfergus

Thanks guys, what you said makes sense. I ordered an Ol' Tom Half mask off fleabay for 14.99 with free shipping. Should be good to go.

alloutdoors

I prefer a boonie hat for turkey hunting and I really like the Ol' Tom boonie which has a built in mask. I have half-masks that I use too, but the built in is faster to deploy. The half mask is faster to stow, but I'd rather be quicker on the front end.

Gobble!

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 04, 2015, 10:19:06 AM

x2

Gooserbat

I'm a half mask around the goozel guy.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WildTigerTrout

I use a half mask and leave it around my neck. When the time comes I just pull it up over my face. Quick, easy and effective.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Skeeterbait

First time you use a full net in front of your eyes you will realize it cuts way down on your ability to see and detect movement in low light situations.  Half mask worn around the neck is the most popular style I believe.  I like one that is split up the back with a wire nose pinch.

jwhunter

People have been killing turkeys with ball cap masks for decades!

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 04, 2015, 01:11:26 PM
First time you use a full net in front of your eyes you will realize it cuts way down on your ability to see and detect movement in low light situations.  Half mask worn around the neck is the most popular style I believe.  I like one that is split up the back with a wire nose pinch.

+1, great advice.  I've gone to the leafy Thugs mask @ Wal-mart, which is a full-face mask, but I can pull it down over my head & use it as a half-mask, too.  As a throw-back, I was thinking of pulling out my old boonie hat this year, for the hay of it!

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Turkeyman62

Quote from: jwhunter on March 04, 2015, 03:07:45 PM
People have been killing turkeys with ball cap masks for decades!

:icon_thumright:
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

Cut N Run

If they're calling for it to be cold, I use a spandex mask under a visor pro leafy head cover over top of a foam lined cap.  I switch to a half mask and mesh cap when it gets warm.  I always carry a spare mask and gloves in the back of my vest because I've lost too many just moving from place to place.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

mgm1955

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 04, 2015, 12:18:22 PM
I use a half mask and leave it around my neck. When the time comes I just pull it up over my face. Quick, easy and effective.
Used one of these for years with a camo baseball cap. Works perfect.